No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Flower Frog Type Vase? European?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Early Flower Frog Type Vase? European?
« on: June 27, 2008, 08:22:52 PM »
Hi. This has been soaking for a week to remove years of dust/dirt & its finally presentable. I think its a forerunner to a flower frog/flower block. Size is 8" height, 5" diameter, blown, seven (7) projections surrounding the body, projections have small openings. Styling is more European (I think) than US. Am I correct that it is a flower frog type of piece? Does it resemble any European production? Thanks for any/all input. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Early Flower Frog Type Vase? European?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 09:06:33 PM »
WHAT a BEAUTY! Crocus vase I'd say
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:31:56 PM »
My friend says
Tulip vase
 ;D
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:40:34 PM »
As in for displaying rather than growing?

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 09:43:31 PM »
I'd say growing but have to ask the expert again  :angel:
Pamela

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 09:53:38 PM »
... och, ich find' sie ganz schön, aber die barocken in blauweiß
gefallen mir eigentlich noch besser. Ãœbrigens hat lustrousstone recht:
nicht zum Treiben, sondern schon für fertige Blumen ...

This what he said: not for cultivating but ready blossoming - thanks Christine, right as always!
Pamela

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 10:11:12 PM »
See also this message in the Murano forum for similar types of vase. But I think Ken's is much, much nicer than mine or the others in the Murano message.

Maybe the quite intricate and delicate gilded swags could suggest a French origin?
KevinH

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 10:28:55 PM »

Maybe the quite intricate and delicate gilded swags could suggest a French origin?

Just what I was thinking.  Great piece!

die barocken in blauweiß
gefallen mir eigentlich noch besser.
Das wuerde ich gerne sehen!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 11:37:14 PM »
Thanks everyone for the informative & nice comments. This came from an estate home sale that had three very decent sized Alvin Sterling overlay vases. They were in a large heavy cardboard box that looked as if it had been in a basement that had water problems for a good many years. Unfortunately all the Alvin pieces although beautiful to look at (even though very dirty) upon close inspection were cracked & rather badly...just mad me sick & this one was filthy. I picked it up, wet my finger (OK I spit on it...I know its crude) & rubbed the inside of the neck with pressure because I was certain it was sick. To my suprise it did improve it a bit so I took a chance. Took it with me, corked the neck & plugged the tips of the seven spouts with my Grandkids silly putty... used 1/2 Vinegar, 1/2 liquid dishwashing detergent & a 1/2 cup of rice & swirled it a half dozen times during the day....actually shook it hard. Dumped that the next day & there was considerable improvement, but still pretty dirty. Then I used my old standby Glass Magic (caustic cleaner) at 5X the mix you are supposed to use (I always do this) & periodically shook the heck out of it for three days. Last night I figured it was now or never so I rinsed it & well you can see it cleaned up decently well.

What suprises me is that when either the vase or the individual spouts are tapped gently with a fingernail they all ring. I would have never suspected that the spouts being attached as they are would ring...I would have thought they would have gone THUD when tapped. Thanks everyone again for the assistance. Ken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 12:35:13 PM »
It's a lovely thing Ken and I do the spitting thing too :-[ very useful along with a bit of gentle finger nail scratching

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand