No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pricing help on a Whitefriars Partridge and others please!  (Read 1777 times)

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Pricing help on a Whitefriars Partridge and others please!
« on: June 28, 2008, 03:58:08 PM »
Afternoon all, just brought a Whitefriars Partridge ltd edtn weight, in its box with cert.  I cant find any selling recently so wondered if anyone knew of 1 and how much it went for?

thanks!
Ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
Re: Pricing help on a Whitefriars Partridge and others please!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 07:58:41 PM »
So who's been to Tring Auctions today then??? 

I left a couple of bids - havent heard back yet.   

Prices of Xmas weights depend on where they are being sold.  Generally dealer price on an Xmas weight is £300+.  Ebay price is  £200 upwards depending. The Partridge weight tends to go for more than the four earlier weights.   
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 08:14:28 PM »
Yup, you got it :)  Brought 4 Whitefriars weights, partridge is far better than angels, wise men, etc as far as I know.  THe ones there went in the £180 hammer region I think.

These are the other 3 I brought

Love the one with the texture.

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 11:03:12 AM »
You got the two concentrics for a good price.  The liberty bell one  was also a good price. I was the underbidder on that one  :cry:. It is unusual as normally liberty bells have a different layout. I would appreciate a good image of that one please. I have a friend who is cataloging whitefriars.   I have seen a couple of the  lots appearing on ebay already. Lot of the prices paid were ok - maybe pushing it for a collector but way too much for resale. The opium poppy went for £70 which add premium has to be over £80 and that is about ebay price. I think the xmas ones went top end - one is now on ebay at £250 and that is pushing it.  I do get a good feeling of shadenfreude when I get outbid at auction for a weight which then appears on ebay and doesnt sell >:D.  The one that I was interested in was the xmas bell but that went for £420 which is par for the course. I can guess where that went. 
Martin

Offline Kari

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 03:44:05 AM »
Coincidentally, I just won my favorite Christmas weight on Ebay today.  It's Joseph with Mary on the donkey.  Being Jewish, I felt odd bidding, but it's such a sweet image - and I thought it is a particularly nice example.   I left what I thought was a fairly low snipe bid because of my religious fears, and was the high bidder at $261.  I think I did OK, and besides, art is art!

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 08:44:38 AM »
But weren't Joseph and Mary both Jewish.  ;D

Anyway it is a lovely weight and at at a very good price.  My favourite is the three wise men.
If you ever get the chance, compare individual examples of the same design as the difference in each can be astounding. This goes for all the xmas weights.
Martin

Offline Kari

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 03:59:24 PM »
Oh My! and thanks - there isn't much of that in the old testament, which is our primary source.  That makes me feel much better, and yes, I have compared MANY times amongst each example.   The first one I really noticed was a Wisemen, and then subsequent ones never seemed as special.  What I noticed in my new one was that Mary's posture, as well as that of the donkey, were very alert.  The donkey also seems to have a glitch that gives the appearance of an eye - they're such sweet-looking animals!

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 11:31:03 AM »
On that note, heres the Partridge

Dont know if this slideshow will work in here, but lets try anyway.

Weight was sold privately this morning for £475 so you can all not the price for reference :)

Ian

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 11:31:55 AM »
Click the 2nd pic, you'll get to the slideshow!

Ian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand