No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nice weight - Perthshire no, probably Strathearn?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Nice weight - Perthshire no, probably Strathearn?
« on: June 28, 2008, 09:22:24 PM »

This weight is very neat - and quite attractive - but I suspect it is Strathearn.  Any other views?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
Re: Nice weight - Perthshire no, probably Strathearn?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 08:53:47 PM »
It looks like Perthshire to me. Some of their earlier weight had that fire polished bottom and were unsigned. Strathearn's canes look pinched at the top. These canes show very little distortion and that latticino looks as neat as what you find in Peter McDougall's weights.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:06:04 AM »
I would agree with Alan.  Strathearn, in their traditional design, but better quality than most.  The canes are more regular than the normal strathearn but they do have a lack of roundness towards the centre of the weight.

Perthshire weights tend to have a far more regular cane shape.  I think the difference is partly due to the way the canes were cut. With Strathearn they were snipped. At Perthshire they were cut with a circular saw (on a machine like a bacon slicer)

Alternatively - "transition weight" (that well known category for anything not obviously attributable!!)
Martin

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:31:05 AM »
There has to be some transition from Strathearn to Perthshire as everyone at Perthshire just walked over to the new company from the old. Interesting about the snipping versus cutting, how was the snipping done without cracking?

One of the reasons Paul Ysart's kids did not follow their father was that he made them cut the canes and Salvador (son of Paul) told me that they loathed it because they would always cut their fingers, nevertheless he is proud of his collection of his families work. I have a VHS tape of his collection, and probably some of Catherine's collection if anyone is able to convert that to an mpeg I will happily send it to them. The video would then be offered for free download from one of the Scottish sites. 20 plus years old don't expect good quality - the hired camera was massive and primitive.

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 12:09:43 PM »
Interesting about the snipping versus cutting, how was the snipping done without cracking?

When I did the Willie Manson course, canes were cut using a pair of pincers which would quite neatly snap off a quarter inch lenght of cane for setting. It was difficult to be accurate and cut them all to the same length and at right angles. I assume that is how they did them at Stathearn

As mentioned above, on a visit to Perthshire I watched someone use the bacon slicer to cut down a cane. Every piece would have a smooth straight edge and be identical in length
Martin

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 03:29:18 PM »
I think the eBay seller has done the right thing by adding "?" to the Perthshire attribution in the title.

In my web pages, I show a neatly set spoke weight which I classed as Strathearn but with reservations because of the tidiness and the 1-1-2-2 cane pattern.

Although I cannot locate the email right now, a collector in Europe sent me a photo of an extremely similar weight to mine, with the same pattern and much the same quality of canes etc. But his had a Perthshire Paperweights label. (Ok, in theory, the label may have been added to a Strathearn weight in error, after falling off the correct item, or it could even have been added, at any time before the current owner received it, as a deliberate attempt to mislead.)

But assuming the label was added at the time of making the weight, it confirms use of canes that, to me, look very much like Strathearn but in a Perthshire weight. I have always felt (even without absolute proof) that many of the early Perthshire weights would have been made with Strathearn canes (or even early Vasart [and maybe even earlier Ysart] canes, too!).

For the eBay one my first thought was "unsigned Perthshire", mainly because of its tidiness set off by those very neat and straight filigree twists - a feature not often seen with Stathearn twists when set in the weight.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand