No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown Vase maybe Czech? ID - Pavel Hlava  (Read 3848 times)

Offline PAUL H

• Members
    • GREAT RETRO GLASS
Unknown Vase maybe Czech? ID - Pavel Hlava
« on: July 01, 2008, 05:26:29 PM »
Hi.. Is there anyone who knows any info on this vase I picked up from Newark last month.
It is amber in colour, 260mm high and weighs 1175g it top rim is rolled and has a flat polished
base with some base wear, I'm hoping its Czech and has a recognised designer.

Vase http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10317

top view http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10316

base view http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10315

Any help greatly appreciated thanks Paul.
GREAT RETRO GLASS

Classic 20th Century Design

www.greatretroglass.com

Sklounion

Re: Unknown Vase maybe Czech?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 07:08:04 PM »
Many get confused...
Czech it is, probably from Chribska, but don't get your hopes up on a designer...
unless Mark Hill knows better??
Mark??
Regards,
Marcus

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 03:02:50 PM »
Hi,
It is indeed Czech and there will be a number in the Hi Sklo Lo Sklo exhibition running at King's Lynn from 13th July - 9th August.
The design was produced by Pavel Hlava, and examples were made at one of the Novy Bor factories. It's shown in an article in Czech Glass Review in late 1968, so the design is likely to date from shortly before then. Colours include blue, green or pink. I've also seen it in a German catalogue with the same attribution.
Come along to the exhibition to find out more like this!
GREAT find!
Mark
www.sklo.co.uk
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 04:05:48 PM »
As proud owner of a pink one I say: Thank you Mark!

Offline PAUL H

• Members
    • GREAT RETRO GLASS
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 09:22:28 PM »
Thanks guys.. Im pleased with the info, its always good to find the designer.. its a very nice vase
and I am planning a trip to Kings Lynn to the exibition, I'm very keen to learn about czech glass.
Paul.
GREAT RETRO GLASS

www.greatretroglass.com

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 12:32:07 PM »
No problem Paul! If you make it up to King's Lynn for the opening on Sunday 13th, both Graham Cooley and I will be there all day, so please do come over and say hello!

I think Hlava's designs are rather wonderful, and this particular piece exemplifies the title of the exhibition to me. It is an excellent example of how design processes and ideologies were translated from high end, unique 'masterpieces', down to pieces produced for mass market export.

Some of Hlava's unique designs were blown into wet cardboard or paper enclosures, which burst in places creating a unique form, with randomly sized and positioned bulges and undulations, each time. Hlava was also on hand to accentuate or further modify the form when it was still hot. As well as arguably being an early example of "studio glass", these can be deemed 'Hi Sklo'.

The vases like yours are related to this process, and were produced and exported in considerably larger numbers. We believe that they were probably blown into some form of openable cylindrical wire cage, which gives the curving grooves and undulations. As these vary from piece to piece, there were probably a number of different cage 'moulds', each with a different pattern along the same theme. These represent the 'Lo Sklo' end of this stream of Hlava's work.

Throughout his career, Hlava seemed to have been very interested in the idea of internal and external protrusions and bulges. These either make a particular design cross the boundary between sculpture and functional item, and/or explore the plasticity of molten glass and the optical effects created. One of his early, landmark designs is the so-called 'Hedgehog' vase (a name given by collectors), designed in 1959/60 and produced at the Chlum u Trebone factory (aka Cesky Cristal). For those of you lucky enough (or rich enough) to own a copy of Helmut Ricke's excellent 'Design in an Age of Adversity...' book on Czech glass published by Arnoldsche, see p.176 for an example. These were made with heat-sensitive glass akin to 'Amberina' patented by Joseph Locke in the US. The 'start' colour is a vivid yellow but, upon reheating, this goes through the full range of orange tones into a deep ruby red, depending on how long it is exposed to the heat for.

All interesting stuff, and I'm sure more will be researched and re-discovered in the coming years - this is a truly great area.
All the best,
Mark

P.S.; For those new to this area - 'sklo' is the Czech word for glass.
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Offline PAUL H

• Members
    • GREAT RETRO GLASS
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 06:56:21 PM »
Thanks Mark... Your Information on the vase and designer is fascinating.. I'm sure it will spur me on to be more determined to find more elusive
pieces roll on the next car boot or antique fair, hopefully I will make it to the exhibition work willing. Paul.
GREAT RETRO GLASS

www.greatretroglass.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 04:21:58 PM »
Anne E.B

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members