No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Archimede Seguso Black/White Opaque Animals  (Read 4967 times)

Offline lenore

• Members
Archimede Seguso Black/White Opaque Animals
« on: August 13, 2005, 04:36:32 AM »
Hi,
I watched this auction because we may have the opportunity to purchase a horse's head in the same treatment and w/the same label. I couldn't find much info on the net w/regard to these animals other than someone referenced them as Seguso's "Fantasy Series". Any info w/regard to their age, history, availabilty, etc. is appreciated. Is the winning bid on this piece representative of its approximate value or does it seem high/ Having no info it is hard for me to say!
As always, many thanks and happy collecting!
Lenore  8)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7340346537&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Offline chuggy

• Members
Seguso
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 08:28:52 AM »
It seems quite hard to pin the production of these animals to a specific time frame as I've seen them in various authoritative publications dated from early 1950'5 to late 1960's, but they are generally sought after.
This price is on the low side as I've seen some make £600-700 in sales. Some examples are also larger and have seen dogs up to 10". I've got a couple of Archimede Seguso horses heads, but have never come across one in this format, so could be a rarity.
Hope this helps
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline lenore

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 08:01:05 PM »
Hi & Thanks Again, Paul!

Yippee! We got him! This horse head is so majestic. And, the label is completely intact. Will take a pic later today and send it on. Just so excited.

Lenore :lol:

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 09:28:15 PM »
Hi Lenore and Paul,
Great about your win!
About 3 to 4 years ago I would see the horse heads and birds frequently on Ebay, but just this past 2 to 1 1/2 years there have been more dogs up for auction. There was an unusual cat that sold a few years back too. I have a few of them myself. As far as what the technique is called, I really havent found that information yet.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline lenore

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 02:08:30 AM »
Hi,
Here he is! Just magnificent. Actually, the glass is a bluish-black with white. He stands about 6-5/8" tall. Just magnificent work here! Never seen anything like it.
Lenore
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/alavintage1/segusohorse.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/alavintage1/segusohorsehead.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/alavintage1/segusohorselabel.jpg

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 02:34:54 AM »
Makes me say Awww :)
Its really cute. I've seen some really massive pieces (horse heads) up to 10" tall, like the dogs.

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
seguso
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 09:25:45 AM »
Well done Lenore
What a lovely piece and with so much more character than the standard horses heads. A great find and certainly one to cherish.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline lenore

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 12:01:04 PM »
Paul, thanks! He really is beautiful but alas we will be selling him. Just never enough space to keep them all. Will put a post on the market forum most likely sometime today to let everyone know what the listing is. Must say, you have impeccable taste in glass!
Lenore :D

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 02:56:54 PM »
Lenore

I was a bit worried about what your horses head would look like...I wasn't too keen on the doggy, he looked a bit 'cute'...I don't DO cute!   8)  :lol:

But...the horses head is quite fabulous...it's got so much movement, I love it.  Congrats on another great piece of glass!   :D
I am not a man

Offline lenore

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 03:18:56 PM »
Thanks, Max!
We have been so fortunate of late finding some really nice pieces of Murano glass. Fortunately, we live in area (Boca Raton/Palm Beach County, Florida) that has so many estates and auctions from which you can find the most beautiful pieces. And, its a marvelous place to live even though its is so terribly hot during the summertime.
Thanks again!
Lenore

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand