No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh 1920s–30s orange query  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Walsh 1920s–30s orange query
« on: July 02, 2008, 04:48:05 PM »
See this beautifully accurate eBay listing, for a second style (see here) Walsh Vesta Venetian comport or tazza in an amazing orange colour.   For those who count ribs, this item is 18/18 as expected.

I can't better the eBay seller's photographs, hence the listing link.   On close examination the body of the comport seems to be three or four different layers.   The outer layer is either a layer of opalescent glass or two layers, one of opal, and one of clear crystal.   Then I am reasonably certain that there is a thin layer of ruby (cranberry), which you can see as a flush around the sides of the body on two of the photographs.   Then, finally, this mysterious orange, which could be a slightly different colour, changed in appearance by the ruby.

There is no reaction at all to my UV tester, much to my surprise, as I had expected the inner layer to be a golden amber or a uranium yellow, either of which would have shown a vigorous reaction.

As for date, I know this style was made in the 1920s and '30s, but it could be post-war, as Reynolds tells us that Walsh were experimenting with both colour and design in the immediate post-war period.   So it could be a true orange colour.   I would be grateful for enlightenment on the history of orange glass, particularly here in England.

Finally, my grateful thanks to the eBay seller, magickchaffinch, for his thanks and acknowledgement to both me and this discussion board.   Sadly this is still generally infrequent, and so is remarkable.   I know Angela, the moderators, and the other members of the committee will be most appreciative.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Walsh 1920s–30s orange query
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:42:56 PM »
As you may imagine, Leerdam had been trying to produce this colour for a very long time and I believe they were one of the first to actually take up the new deco colour.

Chris Lanooy (1881-1948) designed the first "orange apple" vase for the 18th birthday of Juliana in 1927. It was the first time the new Leerdam colour was used; they called it "warm orange" and was really a by-product in the search for clear red. As the colour orange is highly temperature sensitive, the result was not very consistent and could vary between yellowish orange to deep orangey red.  Therefore it was advertised as "warm orange of various grades". In 1934 the same vase was produced again for the 25th birthday of Sjuul (as we know her) - but in a more consistent colouration.

In 1945, Maastricht poduced an orange vase but due to lack of ingredients they used Johnson Matthey Crinckle for the orange colour. A vase for the liberation allegedly designed by Copier in 1945 but possibly produced around 1948 is said to have used broken taillights from cars to get the orange colour.

So all things being equal, you may assume WW did not produce any orange glass before the end of the twenties.

photo shows the 1945 version (mechanical) (sorry colour is off, these are dark solid orange)
photo shows the 1927 version (hand made)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 05:58:37 PM »
Lovely tazza  :clap:

Is clear orange different to the translucent Tango orange of the 1920s?

BTW Bernard perhaps you could ask Magickchaffinch to post the pictures here, otherwise they'll they'll be lost in the mists of time

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:34:58 PM »
Bernard, thank you so much for your kind comments.

For those who don't already know, I was the seller of the item in question. I am very happy it went to Bernard as it was his previous contributions to the GMB which allowed me to identify both this item and a Vesta Venetian powder pot I sold some time ago.

I had estimated this dated around 1920 simply because of the similarity of colour with Czech tango glass of the period. I could well have been wrong, however. 

I will have a look for the photos & add them shortly.

Thanks again,
Steven

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 06:44:46 PM »
Here are the pics  :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 06:24:21 AM »
Thanks Steven - these multiple identities confuse me  :ac1: My question about the orange was really aimed at Ivo or perhaps Adam A and should have been worded more carefully. Is translucent orange (tango) a different recipe to clear orange?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 06:54:36 AM »
I think semi opaque orange predates the transparent version.  Schneider uses opaque orange ("Orange Tango") from the early 1920s, and combines it with contrasting black and "jaune nouveau" - which is a dark custard colour;  but I would not think orange was widespread before the Art Deco exhibition of 1925.  Gallé used an orange but only as an etched decoration, not solid.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 08:45:15 AM »
Orange was frequently used in Monart from the 1920's, probably the most popular colour. I believe that at that time they would have been using Kügler colours, but possibly French where they sourced the aventurine.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 09:01:05 AM »
I should add, the earliest orange was a darkish solid colour, later a much brighter orange was used and this was apparently temperature sensitive as was the Kügler red they used. The orange shading from yellow through oranges and red is rarely found consistent through a single piece, often shading to orangey-red.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 01:06:14 PM »
See here for information on another example of this range and colour.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand