No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iittala Designers for Italian Companies  (Read 3268 times)

Sklounion

Iittala Designers for Italian Companies
« on: August 13, 2005, 06:24:25 AM »
You know those moments of disquiet?

In trawling through "Finnish Modern Design" edited by Aav and Striztler-Levine, I was aware that Wirkkala had designed stuff for Italian companies. On page 303, there is a vase, and working drawings for very Italian looking vases for Iittala, dating to 1955. Very similar in fact to work by da Ros for Cenedese.

I'm just flagging this as a item of interest.

Regards,

Le Casson

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 08:48:18 PM »
Wirkkala worked for Venini from 1966, I think he was even artistic director ad interim for a while. Sarpaneva worked for Venini from 1988. Tyra Lundgren worked for Venini in 1937 and after 1948. It seems there has always been a very close relationship between Finnish and Italian glass design - much more than between Italian and Swedish, for instance.  I've read somewhere it is due to the Italian appreciation for the understated, and the Finnish appreciation of the boldly overstated... :lol:

Offline chuggy

• Members
Iitala designers
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 07:23:15 AM »
Heres a couple of piccys of my Tyra Lundgren leaf bowl from around 1938 with the old 2 line acid stamp.

http://tinypic.com/atn5h2.jpg

http://tinypic.com/atn6gg.jpg

Small but beautifully formed unlike my good self.
Over the years Venini have always been very progressive in using foreign designers and in addition to the Scandinavian ingluences have also used a number of American designers with some superb results.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Sklounion

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 04:25:48 AM »
Hi, a quick response, bit pressed for time.

There is an image of one of these vases, in the flesh, with production number. Vase in sommerso, purple/amethyst over blue. Drawings show vases red over blue and yellow/ the reverse order, and a vase with colour inclusion to the base, and both vase no 2892-340 and the drawings are for cylindrical vases.

Can't post images for copyright reasons.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 12:08:11 AM »
Quote from: "Ivo"
Wirkkala worked for Venini from 1966, I think he was even artistic director ad interim for a while.

Just spotted that the Venini site has an image of the Wirkkala designs for Venini... it's a Flash site so I can't post a direct link to the individual page but it's on  http://www.venini.com/venini.html under the History link... click NEXT on the images until you reach 1970 and the BOLLE incalmo bottles by Wirkkala. :)

BTW if anyone's not found it yet, there is a free CD-ROM available from the same site (see under Media & Communication > Media > Venini Arte Pura.) I asked for one some time ago and it arrived within a week. It has films showing all the different techniques in use at Venini. Well worth having.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 08:18:29 PM »
This website is very useful to a point, Venini only but has info and pics on Tyra Lundgren, Thomas Stearns, Tapio Wirkkala, Dale Chihuly, Richard Marquis, Toots Zynski - so Scandinavian and American designers have always had a link to Murano's major prestige glass manufacturer

http://www.glass.co.nz/Venini.htm

There were so many that went to apprentice or learn at Venini :wink:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand