No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old English with etched mark  (Read 2847 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Old English with etched mark
« on: July 03, 2008, 06:48:44 AM »

This Whitefriars weight - which may be a late Walsh Walsh weight - has an intriguing 'Made in England' mark which I have not seen before. I know that the US required 'Made in China' marks on Chinese weights at one point, but the canes in this weight look to be late 1940s - 1950s.

Has anyone else seen one with a 'Made in England' mark?

Overpriced, I feel.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
Re: Old English with etched mark
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 01:04:35 PM »
Hey Alan - what does the central cane say - looks like some lettering?

A.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 03:38:31 PM »
If those are letters in the central cane, then it says "I I I I" but with two opposing "I"'s being thin and two being fatter. Each part seems to be a regular, but distorted, green-sleeved cane with white core. It might be a result of parts of the central portion collapsing, leaving just four prominent canes. [These comments based on a 400% enlargement of the seller's "bigger picture" view.]
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 03:42:29 PM »
About the "Made in England" mark, yes I've seen that before - if my memory is serving me correctly. But it was many years ago at a CPC meeting and I did not not take a photo and I can't remember the details or who showed it. Sorry.
KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 04:07:39 PM »

Here is a similar weight of mine (some canes match) - but it has no etched mark.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 05:11:01 PM »
Possibly worth getting Bernard to compare the mark to those found on Walsh glassware. I doubt a separate stamp would be used for weights!

Offline Layna

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 05:33:54 PM »
hi regarding the made in england whitefriars did put made in england on the glass that was exported as all the white friars i have bought in canada has made in england on the base

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 06:22:17 PM »
The source country identifying mark was required by the McKinley Tariff Act (1890's) for goods imported into the USA. Sometimes a label was sufficient but at other times it had to be permanently marked - not sure when it was relaxed though.

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 09:49:20 PM »
Hi all

A very interesting weight and topic

As far I can establish from various Internet sources, the McKinley tariff act (1890) originally ONLY required the country of origin to be stated eg "England" - the act was amended in 1921 by requiring the addition of "made in" before the country name - although to cloud the issue, some english exporters - eg Wedgwood were marking their ceramics "made in England" as early as 1908.

The act seems to have been repealed in 1933 or 4 during the great depression when president Roosevelt who sought to increase foreign trade by reducing existing tariffs through the Reciprocal Trade Agreements Act. However that doesn't necessarily mean that the mark was removed from that date.

Best regards

Derek

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 12:56:04 AM »
A lot of makers would have stopped marking as soon as possible, it was not considered a worthwhile expense. But where it was a part of standard marking it would have been continued at least until they changed the mark.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand