No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: murano sommerso figure signed  (Read 3203 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
murano sommerso figure signed
« on: July 05, 2004, 11:14:25 AM »
i just acquired this figure off ebay, it is signed to the base but the signature is not know to me, anyone have any idea, it's the best photo i could take, it something like A FAGLOFOIATNE it's in script so it could be anything

cheers Ray

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Logged in now!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 12:25:16 PM »
If this has silver aventurine inclusions, it could be from the same factory that produced this item:

The label (a little worn) reads: ARTE MURANO - LINEA MARY

Quite small for Murano: only 9.5cm tall, but quite heavy and it has a rough, unfinished pontil - something else that's not normal for Murano.

Ray, I might be interested in this, so let me know.

Regards,
David
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 03:07:45 PM »
The silver in both pieces is actually a coating of silver leaf which is laid on or rolled on to the gather and then dipped into the furnace to encase it. The heat of the final gather disperses the silver which breaks up into small fragments. They are not aventurine which is a more complicated method of  creating a glitter effect inside the glass. Can't help on the signature I'm afraid, but would be careful about assuming that all black and silver pieces like this come from the same source...there are loads of studios that use/used this technique.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 12:46:48 PM »
Thanks for that information 'AA' - filled a few gaps in my knowledge!

I do actually have some black and copper vases by V.Nason that looked like the same process, but these do have an 'AVVENTURINE' label included (the double 'v' is intentional).

Strangely, these are not cased glass like the silver vase but you can actually feel the slight texture caused by the surface inclusion.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 02:59:54 AM »
Did you get any further with this Ray ?
Your pics are still working altho a bit slow to download.

Murano sounds like a good posibility especially with an Italian sounding name, so transfering to the Murano board.
Pete

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 10:47:01 PM »
yes i did peter it was signed A Tagliapietra c 1960s
cheers Ray

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 08:45:09 PM »
Hi

I have two vases which were bought along with a lots of Italian / Murano pieces, I put them down as Czech (or Chinese) but this post and the silver foil layer discussion has prompted me to post.

I am in no way linking them to the original thread item, just asking if people think they are Italian as well. They are very well made and the bases are polished flat with round ground pontil. They are different variations on a shape so we can assume they were part of a range?

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/foil1.jpg height 9"
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/foil2.jpg height 8.5"

One has the remains of an old paper label stuck to base, unreadable

I have a fair few other named Murano items with foil and even aventurine on top to boot, but these are shapes and colours unfamiliar to me as Italian

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand