Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > British & Irish Glass

Sowerby 2597 vase

(1/3) > >>

bungie60:
One of my vases having trouble with id found the same on Pamela's site http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/ in the vases section unknown, but when clicked on photo attributes it to sowerby pattern 5927. By the way it came on a  plinth marked on the bottom 2506. As i have been informed before marriages were quite common by retailers and dealers. Also speaking to the lady who i got it of, it had always been like that.  It stands an impressive 10" high, opening 5 1/2", base 3 1/2". Plinth base 6", top 4 1/4", inner 3 3/4", 1 1/2" high. Photos here
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10326

Bernard C:
Mark — The pattern number got delightfully screwed up on its way to Pamela's site, as Sowerby allocated them strictly sequentially, so 5927 dates it to between 2050 and 2100!   It's actually 2597, a simple transposition error.    It's pictured and described by Roger Dodsworth in British Glass between the Wars, and he found it in Sowerby's 1938 trade catalogue, which is about right for the pattern number, giving a launch date of 1937–38.   It's probably also in Glen's Sowerby CDs.

I've had a dozen or more of these through my hands in all three sizes, 6", around 8", and 10" (15cm, c. 20cm, 25.5cm), never plinthed.   That Sowerby 2506 plinth doesn't even fit very well.   So I think a marriage, as you suspected, but it could have been an original retailer marriage for display purposes.

Sowerby called their pink Rosalin, probably because they had trouble keeping it a true pink.   Yours was made on one of their good pink days.   2597 comes in some stunning colours, particularly royal blue, black, and a wonderful vaseline yellow which fluoresces like crazy under a UV lamp.   It's also one of Sowerby's best Art Deco patterns.

Bernard C.  8) 

Bernard C:
Pamela — here is the full reference:

Dodsworth, Roger, British Glass between the Wars, Dudley Leisure Services, 1987.   Illustrated exhibition catalogue, item 169, colour photograph p44, description p75.

... and if yours is the middle size, and the vase is available, I would be grateful for the exact height in millimetres.

Thanks in advance,

Bernard C.  8)

Just being tidy:-   The scarce small 6" size may have only two "handles" on each corner, unlike the two larger sizes which certainly have three.   I would be grateful for clarification on this.

B. C.  8)

Mosquito:
I've only seen one 6 inch version of this pattern, I sold it over a year ago. I can confirm, however, that it had three 'handles' on each corner.

Steven

Bernard C:
Steven — Thanks.   My memory was playing tricks on me.   The only 6" I've had was a pair in the vaseline colour I mentioned.

Bernard C.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version