No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby 2597 vase  (Read 3708 times)

Offline bungie60

• Members
Sowerby 2597 vase
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:12:36 PM »
One of my vases having trouble with id found the same on Pamela's site http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/ in the vases section unknown, but when clicked on photo attributes it to sowerby pattern 5927. By the way it came on a  plinth marked on the bottom 2506. As i have been informed before marriages were quite common by retailers and dealers. Also speaking to the lady who i got it of, it had always been like that.  It stands an impressive 10" high, opening 5 1/2", base 3 1/2". Plinth base 6", top 4 1/4", inner 3 3/4", 1 1/2" high. Photos here
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10326

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Sowerby or not
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 04:36:31 AM »
Mark — The pattern number got delightfully screwed up on its way to Pamela's site, as Sowerby allocated them strictly sequentially, so 5927 dates it to between 2050 and 2100!   It's actually 2597, a simple transposition error.    It's pictured and described by Roger Dodsworth in British Glass between the Wars, and he found it in Sowerby's 1938 trade catalogue, which is about right for the pattern number, giving a launch date of 1937–38.   It's probably also in Glen's Sowerby CDs.

I've had a dozen or more of these through my hands in all three sizes, 6", around 8", and 10" (15cm, c. 20cm, 25.5cm), never plinthed.   That Sowerby 2506 plinth doesn't even fit very well.   So I think a marriage, as you suspected, but it could have been an original retailer marriage for display purposes.

Sowerby called their pink Rosalin, probably because they had trouble keeping it a true pink.   Yours was made on one of their good pink days.   2597 comes in some stunning colours, particularly royal blue, black, and a wonderful vaseline yellow which fluoresces like crazy under a UV lamp.   It's also one of Sowerby's best Art Deco patterns.

Bernard C.  8) 
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 06:57:42 AM »
Pamela — here is the full reference:

Dodsworth, Roger, British Glass between the Wars, Dudley Leisure Services, 1987.   Illustrated exhibition catalogue, item 169, colour photograph p44, description p75.

... and if yours is the middle size, and the vase is available, I would be grateful for the exact height in millimetres.

Thanks in advance,

Bernard C.  8)

Just being tidy:-   The scarce small 6" size may have only two "handles" on each corner, unlike the two larger sizes which certainly have three.   I would be grateful for clarification on this.

B. C.  8)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 09:27:40 AM »
I've only seen one 6 inch version of this pattern, I sold it over a year ago. I can confirm, however, that it had three 'handles' on each corner.

Steven

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 08:10:49 AM »
Steven — Thanks.   My memory was playing tricks on me.   The only 6" I've had was a pair in the vaseline colour I mentioned.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 06:03:24 PM »
Pamela,

Are you sure that the height is 140mm?   If it is the smallest size, the height should be between 151 and 153mm.   Any smaller and the top or bottom of the vase would be damaged, which is not the case from your photograph.

Please would you check the height.

Thanks in advance,

Bernard.

Pamela wrote:
Bernard,
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,21904.0.html
answering Sunday evening - here I go: mine is by the mm:

height 140 mm
top diam. 85 respectively 77 mm
base 50 mm resp. 45 mm depending both on the radius chosen 

Hope this helps - any news very welcome!

Best wishes as always,
Pamela

Pamela's email address removed to prevent its harvest by spambots.
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 06:04:58 PM »
Bernard, impossible to measure it larger than it is - see attached photos with two different rulers - levelled the calculator - missing 1 mm with paper under the vase.
Another mystery or another maker?
Best regards,
Pamela
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 06:13:51 PM »
photos, sorry for delay  :'(
Pamela

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 07:50:03 PM »
and - as you noticed correctly Bernard, no damage at all
Pamela

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 08:06:54 PM »
Pamela — This is fascinating.   I am certain that your 6" 2597 and Steven's were from different moulds.   Just compare the "handles".   Also I am fairly certain that the two mould are not different states of the same mould, but I would appreciate a second opinion on this.   The colour and finish of the two vases are both OK for Sowerby, so I doubt whether this is evidence for another manufacturer, but anything is possible.

Such discoveries are still rare, despite the increased availability of good quality photographs.   So, a good day for us and for the GMB.

And an apology.   Sixty years has taught me that the great majority of people do not know how to measure things.   It is not surprising, as most weren't taught this skill properly at school.   And, as the years go by, it gets worse, with mathematics being increasingly taught at school by unqualified teachers.   This was particularly brought home to me at our triple birthday celebration in May, when I put out several games for all ages to play.   One of these was proper old-fashioned bagatelle.   That was a bad choice, as it wasn't just a few of the children who couldn't add up the scores in their heads, but quite a number of the adults!   My beautiful granddaughter, aged just 13½ months, already has nursery rhyme books in French and a selection of number, size and shape toys, courtesy of moi.   One does one's best!   So, Pamela, I am sorry for being cautious about your ability to measure.

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand