No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Id Two enameled pieces! :)  (Read 1183 times)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Help Id Two enameled pieces! :)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 04:52:34 AM »
first one is done by an enthousiast with a do-it-yourself glass painting kit. No clue on the second one, I'm afraid.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 05:02:33 AM »
the first appears to be a hard enamel you can especially see it in the white parts, I didn't think you could do that as a DIY project? also the little divots goign around the vase are actually  cut out and enameled.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 05:51:17 AM »
ok don't take my word for it then - just google craft glass paint, see where you get and report back.

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 06:08:22 AM »
I didn't see anything that appears to have the same depth as the enamel on this vase. I do readily see that this was clearly done by hand by someone free form, but it is a hard enamel; at least with the white and I didn't think that was available to the DIY crowd?

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 06:59:59 AM »
I'm afraid I had the same reaction as Ivo when I saw your first vase.  Punties like that could easily be cut using a Dremel.

I think your decanter is most likely Bohemian, but I wouldn't necessarily bet on it.  How's that for wishy-washy?

Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 07:19:28 AM »
not saying it's impossible but is it possible for a DIY to get a hard enamel? I didn't see any when I did a search? No one has answered that yet?

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 07:24:54 AM »
the basic style reminds me of the Royo pieces. the white enamel looks like that in person. quite a lot of their work was also just as haphazard.

this vase also has a decent amount of wear on the base. So This would have been done some years ago most likely Diy or professional. Would hard enamel have been available to them? the details of the gold around the rim and in other places looks normal for professional glassware. it also has normal amounts of wear.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 11:19:54 AM »
Yes it is possible many artists suppliers sell the enamels that are easily fused in a cheap pottery kiln, crafts stores tend to sell acrylics which don't need the fusing. Many potters are happy to fire things for people too, it only takes a few minutes and can allow much larger pieces than the hobbyist kilns would allow.

Won't be long before UV cured enamels are available and then you just need a cheap UV light box - although an epoxy type base it will be hard to distinguish from fired enamels as they to will be chemically bonded to the glass and hard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand