No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Any books on Edinburgh Crystal (specifically the Appin range)?  (Read 2252 times)

Offline hotrisingsun

• Members
Hi All,
     I'm looking for any source that lists and has pictures of the complete Appin range from Edinburgh Crystal.  I found a incomplete picture of the range on one of the replacement websites, but Im looking for a complete list of what was produced and pictures that could help me find identify individual pieces.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Any books on Edinburgh Crystal (specifically the Appin range)?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:57:04 AM »
Hello and welcome to the board.  I'm not sure you'll find a complete listing unless someone has a catalogue, but the following might help you build up a list...

Discontinued Designs has what looks like a catalogue page for Appin here:
http://www.discontinueddesigns.co.uk/product.aspx?productid=806

Replacements.com has more of the range here:
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/EDIAPP.htm

Scotland's Glass is a co-operative project which is aiming to catalogue all Scottish glass, their Edinburgh page is here:
http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=182&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=51
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:58:32 PM »
We will get there in the end, Scotland's Glass, main effort on Caithness at present, but please share any examples you have. One catalogue has been added already for EC - we need a champion who can source examples of their glassware or catalogues!

Offline ckscot

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 09:54:05 PM »
I have a copy of a book "The Story of Edinburgh Crystal" by HW Woodward, from 1984, discovered when browsing a local secondhand bookshop. It is only 92 pages long and only really mentions Appin in passing, but it does say that there are "14 substantial volumes of Edinburgh Crystal's pattern books preserved at Penicuik" (its last  manufacturing base, outside Edinburgh).  I wonder where they are now? 
Iain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand