No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: amber/ uranium with antique-ish decoration  (Read 11189 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: amber/ uranium with antique-ish decoration
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 12:48:48 PM »
I think Ivo was talking about the item in natural light. Amber uranium glass does not tend to show the green glow on the curves so easily in daylight. Shape and glass thickness make little difference under a UV light. I am positive Ivo knows what a uranium glow looks like!!
except the one on the left has a high Uranium content and shines like mad under UV

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 01:35:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure he does, too. Here's the effect I meant - 'scuse the chips. It glows much more on the edges.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 01:46:34 PM »
And here, for contrast, is the manganese not-so-glow, on the base of a clear carnival comport.

Edit: just to make clear, this is for posterity, not for Ivo's or Christine's benefit. The point was that it wasn't something Ivo was likely to mistake.

Edit 2: Also I wouldn't imagine Ivo's vase to be stained amber, either.

Offline glasswipe

• Members
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 06:44:16 PM »
Hi Krsilber and CathyB, If you follow the URL link which Kev H has so kindly replaced from the old thread.Go down to Glasswipe comments and click the second photo you will see it "glowing" I took two photos one under UV blacklight conditions and one without.Hope you find this helpful.Kay

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 09:17:48 PM »
(Just to clarify, Glasswipe's photo links are in Ivo's post, Reply #4 in the other thread)

Cathy, the piece in your first photo is uranium, and that's an accurate photo of the glow?  What color is it in daylight?  It does seem strange that the whole thing doesn't glow.

I've heard that light emitted by uranium doesn't travel very far through glass (this needs to be confirmed before counting on its accuracy), which would account for the fact that it glows with an intensity not proportional to glass thickness. 

I agree that it looks like Ivo's piece isn't stained (and that he'd know what uranium glass looks like).  That's interesting that amber uranium pieces don't glow as strongly.  Some glass components absorb certain wavelengths of light, iron among them.  Iron in sufficient quantities is an amber colorant - I wonder if that is playing a role.

Another photo for comparison.  All the pieces are colorless (the one at the top has an amber stain that glows bright orange).  The jar on the right is Heisey; almost all clear Heisey glows bright yellowish green due to high manganese levels, and thicker glass is more intense than thinner.  The comport on the bottom shows how cut edges of thin glass can glow brightly when the rest hardly glows at all, even when you're not looking through a lot more glass at those edges.  Weird optical effect.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 03:23:00 AM »
(Just to clarify, Glasswipe's photo links are in Ivo's post, Reply #4 in the other thread)

Cathy, the piece in your first photo is uranium, and that's an accurate photo of the glow?  What color is it in daylight?  It does seem strange that the whole thing doesn't glow.

Definitely uranium - it even glows under UV in full fluorescent light. It's very fine glass, with the slightest tinge of green in daylight. If you look carefully you'll see that the whole thing actually is glowing, just not nearly as brightly. It's the colour and intensity which gives it away as uranium - even in broad daylight, but with the UV on it, you can see the glow. But heck, just to prove it, I'll see whether I can rustle up a geiger counter.

Actually the effect is similar,but less pronounced, on all my uranium glass. Here's a tiny portion of my uranium glass taken under UV but in daylight conditions - note the colour is more intense in the areas of pattern.

Anyway, glasswipe's photo of her Breughel piece shows a glow worthy of a nuclear reactor. Ivo's is likely to be the same.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 03:43:58 AM »
Also, Kristi, note that the colour of your Heisey piece is quite different.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 04:36:09 AM »
Sorry - I didn't mean to suggest that Ivo's piece (or yours) wasn't uranium glass, and you're right that Heisey's glow is a different color.  I meant to contrast the effects, and also look at the optical properties of a cut edge.  Sigh.  I don't think I'm doing it very well or explaining myself very well, I should just butt out.  I seem to be doing a poor job of posting lately.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 07:15:12 AM »
No worries at all - I probably wasn't explaining myself well either* :-) It is interesting to see the different effects on the various edges though, isn't it.

*we've got MIL coming tomorrow, so I'm a little frantic! Wish me luck.

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 09:02:57 AM »
Well I have checked my Borocrystal piece under the UV, it is definitely not uranium glass.

Just another comment, I am really stupid when I did not mention that at original Ivo's picture is national emblem - Czech Lion with two tails with Slovak's doubl-crucifix at heart - this emblem was valid from 1918 -  1961 (with interuption during WWII) .
see http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal%C3%BD_znak_republiky_%C4%8Ceskoslovensk%C3%A9

So I am sure that this piece is Czechoslovakian and almost sure that Borocrystal.

Jindrich

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand