No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: amber/ uranium with antique-ish decoration  (Read 11187 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
amber/ uranium with antique-ish decoration
« on: July 08, 2008, 02:24:36 PM »
Just bought my third item in this glass. A previous attempt at identification did not yield anything, but with a constantly moving crowd and ever changing insights, I thought I'd give it another spin.
The base colour is amber - except the one on the left has a high Uranium content and shines like mad under UV. The other two items do not. Decoration is schwarzlot wavy lines combined with transfer (the Breughel figures swilling beer on a stool), cold enamel floral (the decanter with the 1930s shape) and hot enamel heraldic (the curious shaped ashtray).

As the technique changes, it may have been in production for a longer period. The Breughel figures suggest Belgium, someone else whispered "Wmf" - but so far it has everybody stumped. Closest living relative may be "Napoli" glass as described in Revi, but never sighted in the real world....

help!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: amber/ uranium with antique-ish decoration
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 02:40:31 PM »
Interesting, sort of thing usually lumped in to the Bohemian category, why not?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 03:14:43 PM »
They reminded me of something and started going through the pile of HO catalogues, I don't know if you looked through them? 1938 includes decorated amber crackle glassware that was imported to UK.

Fairly useless info I suppose without knowing from where!

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 03:39:27 PM »
Ivo, I am going to send you some photos that show a decanter with similar decoration. There are labels on the glass identifying the item. It looks very similar to yours. I am sorry that I can't post the photos here as they are not mine and I don't have permission to share them publicly (but I do have permission to share them privately).

If the info on the labels is useful, please feel free to post that in this thread. It is only the photos that I don't (yet) have permission to show.

G
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 03:41:08 PM »
Also appears with a very vaguely similar vase in a 1940's catalogue but undecorated.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 04:17:29 PM »
Glen that is fabulous information. The item with very! similar decoration you showed me is a Kord decanter made by Borocristal with a cottage industry? decoration, which focuses the area of research. It also narrows down the time frame as Borocrystal operated 1948 to 1974. I have come across Kord before, when researching a fancy handmade bottle which turned out to be made by ZBS. So - Borocristal is a most likely answer to three questions.  :hiclp: :hiclp:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 07:37:57 PM »
While looking for something else, I came across a 1930s Palda tumbler in amber with a horseman and painted crackle. Collectible Bohemian Glass 1915-1945 Truitt and Truitt. Don't know if it's relevant or not. I can scan it for you if you want

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 09:04:01 PM »
That would be fabulous Christine!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 09:23:42 PM »
On its way  :)

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 12:41:04 AM »
For what it's worth, and just in case Ivo is lurking, I found another example of a decanter in a similar vein.  Signed "Handpainted by Borokristal, Czechoslovakia" - so maybe not a cottage industry decoration?  Or would they sign it like that if it was made for them?  And what's with the spelling?

(Seller says 90 years old.  Whatever!  This seller drives me up the wall, always making false claims based on bad guesswork.)

...Oh!  And yet another...this time the signature of the artist is legible - O. Gartner.  Same spelling of Borokristal with a "K".  Huh.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand