No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: amber/ uranium with antique-ish decoration  (Read 11186 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: amber/ uranium with antique-ish decoration
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
K instead of C is perfectly normal in Eastern Europe, so Kristal instead of Crystal is correct. (Just as Carl and Marcus are spelled Karl and Markus in EE.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 04:39:10 PM »
Both wrong. Kristy and Ann as well.

1. Czechoslovakia was/is in Central and nod Eastern Europe :-)
2. The factory name was "Borocrystal" - so C not K Ann :-) and "Y" not "I" - Kristy :-)

On October 1945, a Decree on nationalisation of large industrial enterprises was declared; subsequently in 1948, a national enterprise Borocrystal associating 55 original smaller plants and decorating workshops, and national enterprise Umělecké sklo came into being. In 1953, both two companies together with glassworks Borské sklárny were consolidated; thus, a new company named Borské sklo was founded.

To the piece I would also support the oppinion that this piece has been fabricated in Borocryctal, painted probably by  O. Gartner.

Simmilar pieces are not rare here, mostly decanters with glasses, painted are horseman, ships, dancers on cracked background.

Jindrich

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 07:09:53 PM »
Hey - I was just copying what was written on the glass!  That's why I thought the spelling was peculiar.  I neglected to point out that it was also with an "I" instead of a "Y," true...an error of omission, though I did notice it.

...fabricated in Borocryctal
Now who's having spelling problems? ;D ;)  (Jindrich, I'm giving you a hard time, teasing you, pulling your leg...you have to expect that some around here! :) :) :))

Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 08:42:41 PM »
And if we're being really picky, my name is Anne not Ann!  :P
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 09:51:46 PM »
I almost said something about that, but couldn't tell if Jindrich was joking...Kristi
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline glasswipe

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 10:15:30 PM »
Hi,I remember this topic being discussed before as I had a large vase from this series.I do not know how to link it up but the date was Aug 15th 2006 and the title was Breughel uranium.Maybe someone can find the link up.
I have since acquired a tumbler in this style but can't remember what is depicted on the front and it's out in the garage at the moment and it's too cold to venture out.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 12:14:15 AM »
KevinH

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 10:49:48 AM »
Not at all, Kristi and Anne, Jindrich is stupid old man and missing letters is his typical handwrite style  >:D
Sorry about it, the point is that Borocrystal is the name of company and don't ask me why....

Just a question, is it really uranium glass? Did you test it under UV?
I must check my simmilar piece...

Jindrich

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 10:09:48 PM »
In the original thread Ivo said the only place you could see it glowing was on the cut rim.  I wonder whether he might have been seeing the glow from manganese.  That can sometimes be quite strong when looking at something like a rim.  But he would know what uranium glass looks like.  I wonder if it's stained amber, and that blocks out the uranium glow somehow?  Odd.  Too bad he's not around to explain it.
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 10:48:46 AM »
In my experience, very fine uranium pieces sometimes only show at the edges. When this happens, the edges are still bright enough to differentiate from the standard magnesium glow. Crown Crystal used magnesium in green and clear glass, as well as uranium oxide*, so I'm familiar with both effects. Christine has seen even more of the glowing stuff than I have, so she'd be able to confirm or deny.

Presumably this is because the uranium particles of a fixed density in the glass need a certain thickness before the glow is visible. When you're looking at the piece edge on, you see the angle at which the glass is thickest. Just a guess, of course!

Mod: * in citron yellow, and various greens and blues

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand