No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Curious square candlestick - ID = Sowerby "Beverley"  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Curious square candlestick - ID = Sowerby "Beverley"
« on: July 09, 2008, 08:03:51 PM »
Another puzzle I'm trying to solve: one square candlestick, possibly from a trinket set, but I'm not sure.

Size: 85mm x 85mm base, 60mm  high

Marked underneath: RGD No. 307930 or possibly 807930 or  807980 - the 3 / 8 isn't very clear.

If it's 307930 then the number is from 1897, but the number isn't shown in Thompson's The Identification of English Pressed Glass and the date doesn't seem right stylistically for the candlestick.

If 807930 then the date is 1935, registered to British T.V. Supplies Aldwych; and if 807980 then it's the same year but registered to the Cardiff Foundry Engineering Co Ltd -  neither of whom seem likely candidates for needing trinket sets!

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Curious square candlestick
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 10:25:16 AM »
Foundry could be relevant if it was also made in metal. Not all designs are registered by the manufacturer.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:25:19 PM »
Frank's point is a good one. I have a lidded box / jar in pale blue glass but with a registration lozenge with Class I (metalwork) on the base, proving a non-glass mould used for a glass item. I suppose it was not too much of a rarity for glass items to be made from non-glass moulds.

Another example of my bowl / jar (size given as 10cm high and 9cm square base) was shown at the Glass Circle's "From Palace to Parlour ..." exhibition in 2003 where it was described as a jar. That one was in "pale opalescent green" and dated as "1865 - 1868", with a lozenge on the base dating to 14 Feb 1865. My metal mould one was dated as Jan 14 1844. I could not see the lozenge on the base of the green one, to check its Class number, because it was displayed on the lowest shelf of the cabinet.
KevinH

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 04:30:42 PM »
Thanks both, that's a definite possibility.

Another thought whilst checking RD nos - the details I gave above came from Thompson's book as stated and from the GA Blue Book, but when I went to the Great Glass listing of RD nos non of those numbers are shown, but there is an 807989 listed to Sowerby & Co in 1935.  Given how difficult it is to make out the numbers, this is a possibility. Does anyone have access to Sowerby catalogues for 1939 which show this item please? I checked Glen's Sowerby CD and can't find it there.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Curious square candlestick - ID = Sowerby "Beverley"
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 04:16:05 AM »
Updated info: this is now confirmed as Sowerby's "Beverley"  candlestick - see https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/cms3/english/sowerby/beverley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand