No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Help needed please. - ID=Sowerby 2596  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Janet

• Members
ID Help needed please. - ID=Sowerby 2596
« on: July 11, 2008, 06:14:39 PM »
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the maker of this bowl please? I was thinking maybe Sklo Union? Also i wondered if anyone knows how old it could be?

Many thanks for your help.

Janet.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: ID Help needed please.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:11:42 PM »
Janet — Definitely Sowerby, as I have had a Rosalin (pink) three-piece set from a house clearance dealer I know well (that size Rosalin flower blocks are scarce and difficult for mix-and-match merchants as the colour is quite variable).   I don't know the pattern number, so I can't date it for certain, but probably launched late 1930s and made both pre-and post-war.   It's not in Cottle or BGbtW.

You will probably find it in Glen's Sowerby CDs.

I sold a green example on Sunday at Woking.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:27:09 PM »
Glens has it in a "late 1930s" Sowerby catalogue as pattern number 2596

Offline Janet

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 07:44:05 PM »
Wow thats great! Thankyou very much. Its obviously been a treasured piece to have survived this long without any damage, its like new!

I have wondered for a while what it could be and couldnt find anything like it, obviously looking in the wrong places. I bought it from a carboot sale for £2 some time ago.

Off to research Sowerby now! I tend to buy all sorts of glass from carboot sales just so i can research them. Its my way of learning.

Many thanks again for your help.

Janet. x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand