No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it Murano? ID help Please!  (Read 3032 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Is it Murano? ID help Please!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 01:29:57 AM »
Jomo, I don't think anyone was trying to be snippy or condescending. Sometimes words that are meant one way can be read another way. It can be hard to see the expressions on people's face when they write online. You had a good question. I had seen bowls like yours several times, but had no idea who had done them. It is good to learn they are done by VAV. VAV is a good company, so you have a good bowl.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 06:53:41 AM »

It can be very offputting to inexperienced members like myself receiving comments that seem to make fun of my lack of knowledge, the last time this happened I didn't visit the boards for over a year, seems nothings changed
    cheers guys!

Hello.....!!! You started off by saying the dealer gave it to you for nothing. That might have tipped you the wink that it wasn't terribly valuable. ;) Dealers don't give valuable things away normally! ;D Ivo then identified it for you and you indicated that because you didn't like it you were going to sell it. So if you do sell it, that  is at a result of the help you've got here.  :)

Then you asked what it is worth and you got some teasing because (a) its been established that it is something that a dealer can't sell and (b) that you actually don't like it.  ;D

If you had said that it was your favourite bowl in the world, nobody would have pulled your leg  and said it looked like catsick, or that somewhere there might be someone who would like it enough to part with money for it. And nobody was in any way suggesting that this has anything to do with how experienced or inexperienced you are - it just doesn't come in to it.

Everybody has their reasons for being sensitive and it is difficult to tell how someone will read what seems to be benign. Actually yesterday, I learnt of the loss of two friends, both of whom died earlier this year. So all day I was feeling particularly sad. This thread cheered me up, and my post was intended to be completely light hearted. If it had ever crossed my mind that it could be construed as offensive or off putting I would never have made it. The last thing I would wish to do is to offend anybody. My apologies and I don't care* if moderators wish to remove all or any of my posts.

*English people will consider the use of this expression as being rather rude and inappropriate. Americans will perceive it as benign as in the US it is the equivalent of saying "I don't mind", which does perhaps prove a point. :)

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 04:33:54 AM »
Hi John,

I don't think people were so much making fun of you as making a taste judgment on the bowl. We've all got different tastes and that's to be expected. I once made a polar fleece top for my daughter, in a pink and white fabric my mother described as being 'like pink vomit'. I hadn't thought it was that bad...

:-\ I quite like those bowls, and as Anita says, VAV is good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand