No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: International Bottle Company Ltd  (Read 5093 times)

Sklounion

International Bottle Company Ltd
« on: July 13, 2008, 08:25:25 AM »
Hi,
I have done some searching here, and on the web, for info regarding the above company. There is little info other than they were established late 19th or very early 20th century, and in the hands of liquidators in 2005.
I would be grateful for any information members have, regarding the inter-war period, and particularly in which British or possibly Austrian family, were the majority share-holders during the period between 1930 and 1940.
Thanks in advance,
Marcus

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: International Bottle Company Ltd
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 09:10:10 AM »
In 1933-46 they also traded as International Glassware co and both were based in 34 Fore St London EC2. Various designs are registered to them but no indication of them being linked to particular glass-makers. They are conspicuous by their absence (as own entries) from trade directories from early 1900s to 1960s

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:05:49 AM »
Thank you Frank.
I cannot reveal too much at the moment, but there is a link between IBC, an operation called Weiss and Biheller, importers in London at 70-71 Chiswell Street EC, (though I do not have dates for them) and a major European glass manufacturer.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 10:59:21 AM »
OK, at some point they had their own printing operation for containers but do not appear listed as decorators either. I have come across W&B before but probably has to wait until all the directories are digitised so that address searches can be used. They seem to be a US company. http://www.bloominglites.com/pages/weiss_biheller.html

In 1955 International Bottle Co Ltd are listed as Wholesalers at 140 Park Lane W1.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 01:50:02 PM »
UK company
1933 Weiss, Biheller & Brooks Ltd. (As shippers to US and British colonies) 70 Chiswell St EC1
1946, 1950,  gone by 56. Weiss, Biheller & Brooks (1933) Ltd. Various exports to Australian market - only electrical fittings mentioned.
US current? (Electrical equipment and lighting - Bohemian chandeliers) 116 East 16th St. , New York. Phone: 1 212 9796990
http://www.weissandbiheller.com/ Gives 1915 as start date.

1950 IBC already in Park lane

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 08:42:26 AM »
Thanks to Anne who tells me the reg. no  711339 on this Bulldog bottle relates to 25/02/1925 to the International Bottle Co. Ltd....

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 06:40:22 PM »
I worked for several companies that bought from Weiss & Bihiller since 1970. They were wholesalers of all types of glass for the lamp and lighting industry and they bought from many different glass companies. As I recall most were European, but some may have later been in China as well. Their items included many designs of lighting prisms as well as blown ware. I'm not sure if they are still in business, as they may have gone out of business in the last few years.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 04:51:47 PM »
Bull dog was probably made in Bohemia.

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 08:32:35 PM »
Thank you Frank  :)

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »
I am cross posting now so maybe mods will correct for me...but I have another bottle by this company reg 717747 12th Dec 1925..

... See: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,55039.msg354944.html#msg354944

[Mod: link to post in other thread added and pics (same as first three in other post) removed.]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand