No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lizard weight  (Read 12488 times)

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: Lizard weight
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 03:41:35 PM »
Hi Rainbowgirl, i dont think anyone was refering to the shop as a distributer or maker of paperweight's, but simply that the weight was bought there, as a person who has been there i fully support cancer research, and a remark that someone bought something,anythingfrom the shop should be viewed as a good thing, so please don't take offence,i dont.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 04:50:05 PM »
In fact some charity shops, include those supporting cancer research, buy in new items for onward sale, so they could legitimately be described as a reseller of such items. I do know that some such shops have sold paperweights on this basis. Another example would be the new textured vases in the Whitefriars style which were sold by the British Heart Foundation a few years ago.  No-one is claiming that the items are a product of such outlets though. (Speaking as a former cancer research shop volunteer!)   8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 05:47:17 PM »
"snip" I have a soft spot for Chinese 'critter' weights.
I know of this one, the crab and then all those ones with flowers and bees/wasps/frogs etc.  Which other ones are there with just the critter sans flower?
kind regards
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 07:02:45 PM »
Ok...mine's got a great big flower, but it's got a bubble and an upside down octopus and a frog that get magnified through it.   ;D

I do rather like it too, which is why I haven't sold it - besides, it has memories of a good day out.  :)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7148

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7147

I am not a man

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 07:18:31 PM »
I do not share the view that some express about Chinese weights.

Yes, there are quite a few 'Can you make 200 or 2,000 or 20,000 of those please' weights, often nearly as dull as the typical Caithness swirls and bubbles. [I believe that Caithness decided to buy in the low end weights from China towards the end, rather than copy them.]  But there are also quite competent animals, flowers, millefiori from China - their only crime seems to be making them in bulk...

And just how many of the dull, boring 'Flower and bud' weights are there skulling about from the 'Master', Paul Ysart? Lots and lots. Are they interesting?  Matter of opinion.  How many of those were his lampwork, rather than one of his trainees?  Answers on a postcard please....

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 08:14:43 PM »
Karelm: The critter weights I was thinking of included flowers. I have some with bees, butterflies and one with tadpoles swimming above some sort of aquatic plant. I have yet to get a hold of one with frogs. I have seen a Chinese lobster weight with the critter on a solid blue ground.

Max: That is an excellent critter weight. The flower is really lovely. I have never seen the critters perched on a bubble before.

Of the Chinese weights, I like their flowers and animals best, though I did get a hold of a very nice crown weight last year. http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=227&pos=0
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline RAINBOWGIRL

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 09:49:26 PM »
[I believe that Caithness decided to buy in the low end weights from China towards the end, rather than copy them.]

I think this is one of the most outragusly inacurate statements I've seen in a long, long time. Are you actuelly writing that Caithnes bought Chinese weights and, what..., sined them as their own? Rubbish. Uttah rubbish.

And to even compare Paul Ysort (or Caithnss for that matter) with the Chine output that's seen evrywhere is also absurd. Ysort is one of the graet ones. And the Caithnes glass people did darn themselves.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 09:58:45 PM »
Karelm: The critter weights I was thinking of included flowers. I have some with bees, butterflies and one with tadpoles swimming above some sort of aquatic plant. I have yet to get a hold of one with frogs. I have seen a Chinese lobster weight with the critter on a solid blue ground.

Max: That is an excellent critter weight. The flower is really lovely. I have never seen the critters perched on a bubble before.

Of the Chinese weights, I like their flowers and animals best, though I did get a hold of a very nice crown weight last year. http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=227&pos=0
I have to say there are some incredibly nice weights out there. What other variations are there of included animals?

Polar Bears, Sharks, Trolls? ;D
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 10:28:45 PM »
I seem to recall Ivo mentioned a troll along with his vikings a while ago David.  8) 
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 10:36:03 PM »
Ah yes, that would be the Pukeberg Viking? Do we have a pic?

>:D ze phantom
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand