No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this a Lobmeyer decanter set??  (Read 6051 times)

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: is this a Lobmeyer decanter set??
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 10:04:20 PM »
Lobmeyr's one of my favorite glass companies.  Although they were a retailer from the beginning, their primary contribution to glass has always been their designs.  They integrated Bohemian traditions with other European ones, and were especially successful at bringing Islamic styles and motifs into their work.

According to J & L Lobmeyr, Between Tradition and Innovation (ed. Peter Noever, MAK Museum, Vienna), they actually did have a glass factory for a short period in the mid-19th C.  They also at times had decorators working directly under them, though at home workshops.  Ludwig Lobmeyr wrote, "In my father's lifetime already, we established a so-called refinery at Blottendorf near Haid in Bohemia. We took on a manager, rented warehouse space for storage of our so-called raw ware (that is, wares as ther were produced by the glass blower) which, depending on what was needed, were distributed to cutters, engravers, gilders, and painters in the area, who were homeworkers almost without exception, having their own cottage and garden and, at most, a piece of field, and, if finished, were sent back to our representative."

Although in the 19th C their blanks were almost entirely obtained from other companies and often decorated by them as well (Meyrs Neffe primary among them), since the designs were Lobmeyr's, that's who gets the attribution.  There were so many home workshops and so much trade in blanks among Bohemian companies that often the actual manufacturer isn't really that important.

I know far less about Lobmeyr in the 20th C.  However, they are known for their engraving and cutting, and the thing that makes me wonder most about this piece is that the design looks pressed...doesn't seem like something Lobmeyr would do (or design).  On their Austrian site (http://www.lobmeyr.at/dt/glas/index.htm) it says, "Mouth blown, cut, engraved and polished, each of our pieces passes through at least 18 hands in its production."  Maybe they went through a period of designing pressed glass, I don't know.

And just to clarify, a piece may be pressed and cut, so even if some of the decanter has cut facets (or facets that were pressed then ground and/or polished to make them look entirely cut), that doesn't mean it wasn't pressed.

Very interesting piece!  Adam's idea of contacting Lobmeyr about it is an excellent one.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 10:12:43 PM »
great stuff and thank u.....i have sent pics off to Lobmyer and a request for id..will post comments here if they are forthcoming.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 10:14:03 PM »
just dont seem to type that correctly...lol...Lobmeyr

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 05:18:53 PM »
hi there once again,
some info on this piece,not from the e mail i sent to the factory...but whilst browsing a market i found a similar piece with its photo from a catologue
heinrich hoffman & curt schlevolgt gablonz c1930...bohemian glass factory pressed glass and polished
german...rauchfarbenes pressglass.
any other ideas?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 05:54:40 PM »
That's what Steven suggested earlier, and I think that's a good direction to look in.  More likely than Lobmeyr.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand