No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech sculptured vase. ID = Vlastimil Pospichal  (Read 3333 times)

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: Czech sculptured vase. ID = Vlastimil Pospichal
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 09:00:18 PM »
Thanks, Norman!  That's awesome.  I bet it's really cool in person.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »
I've never seen a detailed description of the techniques used for this.

Offline norman warbreck

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 11:28:28 PM »
thanks kristi...
there weere a total of 60 vases to choose from and i bought....could afford ..3 at the time some 15 years ago...and this one grabbed me.
the wealthy lady was a serious collectors of czech glass-....and there were some stuuning hand painted vases......sob sob...

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 12:49:39 AM »
I've never seen a detailed description of the techniques used for this.

What kind of detail are you looking for?  Assuming it's not a figured blank (one in which some of the final shape is already molded), it would have been entirely carved with wheels - probably stone, diamond and/or copper with carborundrum and water for grit.  Stone and diamond remove more material than copper, and would have been used for the general shape.  Copper might not have been used at all.

I have a video from the Corning Museum about a Czech engraver and I might be able to find out more precisely the details, but it would be a couple weeks probably before I could get back to write about it, as I'm going backpacking in southern California in a couple days and don't have time to watch it.

Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 05:21:27 PM »
Moser has a tiny little video that shows engraving using a few different wheels:
http://www.moser-glass.com/en/unique-manufacture/manufacture/engraving-and-gilding .  There's a stone one first, and since the rest don't have any slurry they are probably diamond, not copper.
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand