No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: For Drooling purposes only . Perthshire ( i think)  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
For Drooling purposes only . Perthshire ( i think)
« on: July 15, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »
Owner wants to remain anonymous,(not me  :( )  just popped on here for drooling over only.

Andy 8)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: For Drooling purposes only . Perthshire ( i think)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 05:25:09 PM »
Perthsire (I think)
Yes, it's Perthshire Paperweights (P in centre cane). It's a PP58 design from 1997. Only the final year of that design No., which started in 1983, was faceted. But, like so many Perthshire designs, it was the same as others! Their PP1 design in later years was the same but unfaceted. Should be a full 3 inch (76 mm) diameter.

[Info from the book The Complete Guide to Perthshire Paperweights by Colin & Debby Mahoney and Gary & Marge McClanahan, ISBN 0-933756-24-0 / 0-933756-27-5.]

I like this particular example because the colours are stronger and well-balanced. Some Perthshire weights, even though superb quality, do nothing for me because of weaker colours. On the point about quality of their paperweights, I sometimes think it a shame that a quality control lady was so strict (she'd destroy anything that was not up to her rigid standards!) because there could have been so many more really good examples to go around, even if they did have a slight flaw somewhere.

Sorry to have hijacked this "drooling only" thread. ;D
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 11:43:51 PM »
Very pretty! *drools* I love the way the canes go from green to blue to purple. Very harmonious.

I find a lot of Perthshire, especially their general range decidedly pastel. They did have one colourground I absolutely loved: It was a hot chili pepper red. McDougall uses a similar colour but it is decidedly darker and less eye-popping. I made a special request of my Perthshire dealer at the time (Steve Cole, if anyone remembers him) to see if he could scare up a PP62 in that color. PP62 is a cartwheel design that leaves some of the colorground open, which I thought would set off that color just right. He got Perthshire to make three and let me have the pick of the litter. It's surrounded by other 'better' and more expensive weights but of all of them that one shouts for attention the loudest.

I was very sad when Perthshire closed and they did it on my birthday, doggone them! I think I actually sat down and cried. I had envisioned filling cabinets full of the flawless weights. I got cut off at 17. I scratched together some cash to get the last LE crown weight LH Selman got from them. I was very happy to get my hands on that one. Since then I have found a few more Perthshires but seeing them in prices I can afford is getting rarer and rarer.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 12:45:49 PM »
Thanks chaps,
with help from you and all the fantastic weights ive seen you both have, im learning
how to tell a goodie from an average weight.
Andy
 8)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand