No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: marks on strathern pw  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Cazza

• Members
marks on strathern pw
« on: July 16, 2008, 02:10:37 PM »
Please can anyone tell me do all strathern p/w's have maker marks or canes.
thanks
Cazza

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: marks on strathern pw
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 02:42:22 PM »
No they don't. Some have the leaping Salmon seal, some S and/or date canes but most just labels.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 02:44:07 PM »
Hah! Frank got there first, just as I was posting. My comments still retained in full, though.

In a word ... No.

Some Strathearn weights have an "S" cane or "S with date cane" (e.g. S79 with the S above the numerals) or two separate canes for the "S" and the 2-digit date. Designs with a signature cane also appear without signature. Some, but not that many, also have a Script signed edition number and in a few cases "Strathearn" in script may appear.

Other weights, such as "Ice Pool" (a lump of granite encased in the clear dome) have an impressed "prunt mark" on the base, which is a "leaping salmon" but sometimes easily confused with a letter "S". Again, designs witn the "prunt mark" also appear without it.
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 02:48:51 PM »
And one other point - if anyone finds a weight with a small black "s" in the base and they think it might be Strathearn or other Scottish, just send it straight to me ... it might be the only way I'll get a very early Stankard. ;D >:D ;D
KevinH

Offline Cazza

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 03:00:12 PM »
I have seen on today its boxed, but i could not see any marks, but its definately quality. I am no expert on paperweights, I had a good look at the box it looks like 1960's to me light blue in  colour the weight had twisted canes and I also remeber at the ends what looks like small white/red flowers. no millefiori at all.
Cazza

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 05:28:51 PM »
Blue box could fit for Strathearn. But boxes don't always contain what they started out with.

If there is no millefiori, but some type of flower at the end of the ends of the twists, it sounds very unusual for Strathearn (and any other weight that I am familiar with!). Any chance of getting a photo?
KevinH

Offline Cazza

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 07:33:11 PM »
Ho there no cant get a photo as its in a local auction tomorrow. When i say flowers they look like flowers at the end of the cane. the cans are twisted like flat ribbons. and at the bottom of the weight at the end of the ribbons these canes that i would say are flower shapped.
Cazza

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 08:42:08 PM »
That is just a feature of the style of cane and one of the reasons that canes are known as Millefiori = Thousands of Flowers. Just to confuse the issue, twisted canes are not usually described as millefiori.

Did KevH get there first this time I wonder  ;)

Offline Cazza

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 08:48:12 PM »
Thats if i remeber it correctly, will see what it sells for maybe a small bid. Then i could post a pic.
Cazza

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand