No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber Glass Vase - ID = Webb  (Read 3957 times)

Offline rbm6167

• Members
Amber Glass Vase - ID = Webb
« on: August 15, 2005, 09:09:58 PM »
This beauty came in a job lot I bid for at an auction and stands a little ovr 8 inches tall with a 7 inch top diameter.
It has both inner and outer protuberances - is the correct term prunts? - and has the most beautiful and clear ringing tone when gently tapped.
The base is complete with sunken, polished pontil.
It is going to have pride of place on my Victorian Walnut what-not but would like to know what it is. Can anyone please help?
Thanks, in anticipation
John

http://tinypic.com/alhf0g.jpg

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Amber Glass Vase - looks old!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 11:07:29 PM »
It does look a bit like a Webb 'Bullseye' vase, however these are normally acid-etched on the base with the name - can you see anything there? Also, Webb's glass often has a ground and polished concave pontil, very much like Whitefriars.

The Bullseye pattern normally came in Amber or clear, but sometimes in green.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 01:39:49 AM »
It looks a lot like Webb's SUNSHINE AMBER color and I know that the factory made glass in that style.  I also know that the Sunshine Amber glows a bright green under a UV blacklight, due to the uranium oxide used in the glass formula.  The rim also looks like there might be a hint of green in the glass.  check it out with a UV blacklight and let us know.  Most of the Webb that was in this style has an acid etched mark on the underside, but I suspect some were made without it.

Dave Peterson

Offline rbm6167

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 05:55:25 AM »
Thanks to all the replies.
The pontil is polished concave and though I haven't tried it under UV blacklight I noticed quite strikingly that when I placed it on the window ledge to photograph in the sunlight, it literally glowed green.
Guess what! Very close scrutiny with magnifying glass has revealed a faint acid etched mark - a circle composed of MADE IN ENGLAND with Webb inside - the 1935 - 1949 mark. I never would have noticed that without your guidance.
Very impressive identification and thank you all so much. The amber glass is such a beautiful colour and I have never heard such a sweet ringing tone as this. I collect Scottish glass but will be holding on to this piece - it's lovely.
Regards
John

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 07:47:32 AM »
It looks a lot like Webb's SUNSHINE AMBER color

Dave, thanks for added that – something I'd missed. I have a few pieces of Webb Bullseye, but only in clear and amber. The green is quite scarce and also probably uranium glass.

John, if it does glow under a UV light then it is quite scarce as much of the Bullseye glass would appear to have been made in amber but not, as Dave notes, in SUNSHINE AMBER. I have several examples of Webb glass in this colour, but not in the Bullseye pattern.

Most of the Webb that was in this style has an acid etched mark on the underside, but I suspect some were made without it.

I'd agree. In the following photo showing four examples of mine, the small tumbler doesn't have a mark, but is identical in every other way. As a guide, the Biscuit Barrel (Cookie Jar for US viewers!) is about 7" (18cm) tall. Also Bullseye was created up to the 1960s, but the acid-etch mark after 1949 merely mentions 'Webb' with 'England' underneath.

: : click thumbnail to enlarge : :

Lastly, if you are thinking of collecting this type of glass, the good news is that it's not expensive and even larger pieces of Bullseye can be got for as little as £10-15!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline rbm6167

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 04:01:08 PM »
Thank you all and apologies for not providing all the relevant information. It wasn't until mention was made of checking under UV that I remembered about the green glow and I honestly had looked for a mark but had missed it because it was so faint.
Regards
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand