Author Topic: Unique, maybe..but £750...?  (Read 953 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • My Paperweights Website
Unique, maybe..but £750...?
« on: July 19, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »

Is a unique Caithness likely to sell at such a price?

Alan
Alan
The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton. Please feel free to contact me direct if you do not agree with my comments and do not wish to make your concerns known by posting in this thread.
 http://www.pwts.co.uk

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
Re: Unique, maybe..but £750...?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 03:42:40 PM »
Considering it is a former Caithness weight maker (John or Shona Spittal) and it has a special meaning to him/her. I would say it is a fair price. Some of their limited edition glassware was higher in price.
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 05:08:09 PM »
It looks similar to a Whitefriars garland weight that i have, as W/Fs closed in 1981 maybe that was the inspiration and Caithness did buy some of the W/Fs paperweight ideas.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 08:12:43 AM »

I suspect the inspiration for this design was some people in France in the 1850s called Clichy and Baccarat...or maybe a Spirograph kit!

Alan
Alan
The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton. Please feel free to contact me direct if you do not agree with my comments and do not wish to make your concerns known by posting in this thread.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:43:21 AM »
Isn't a floating garland unusual?
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline tropdevin

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 12:11:02 PM »
A floating garland is certainly unusual, but I don't think it is unprecedented.  I recall seeing an image of an antique French weight where a similar garland was at a different level from the centre cane (maybe below rather than above?).  If I can find it I'll post the reference.

Alan
Alan

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 02:12:25 PM »
A tad slow 100+ years to get an inspiration.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 06:57:14 PM »
The inspiration was very likely from Paul Ysart himslef ... he made some interlaced garland weights ... but I don't have any examples!! And similar has also been done by John Deacons (and others, no doubt).
KevinH

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com