No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Prunts  (Read 12863 times)

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Prunts
« on: August 16, 2005, 10:05:53 AM »
I have been seeing many messages about pieces with prunts. This vase I have has prunts that look like they were applied with a pastry bag. In my other life as a baker you can see why that would come to mind.
Anyway the vase is 8 1/2 inches tall, has a ground but not polished pontil. My question, oh dear going to get technical, is how do prunts get applied?
http://tinypic.com/am487l.jpg Oh and if anyone knows anything about this piece, well thats icing on the cake. Terry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
Prunts
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 10:21:32 AM »
hi Terry

i dont know who it was made by, but the prunt's were most likley put on as a small blob of glass then pushed down with a small mould tool
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Prunts
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 10:41:15 AM »
:D I love the idea of someone putting molten glass prunts on with an icing bag!   :lol:

Perhaps one made of asbestos might work (but somehow I think not!  :lol:  :roll: )

Now I expect Adam will come along and tell me that's exactly how they *did* do it  :shock:  :oops:  :shock:

Leni
Leni

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Prunts
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 12:36:33 PM »
With regard to prunts on pressed glass:

If you look at this auction (it's one of the celery vase/traubenspulers!) for a Brockwitz Curved Star celery vase, you'll see the prunts around the bottom of the item.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARNIVAL-GLASS-CURVED-STAR-CELERY-VASE-CHALICE_W0QQitemZ7343540316QQcategoryZ16QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is pressed glass and the pattern is intaglio on the surface of the glass, with the exception of the prunts which are cameo and stand out. To achieve that, the shape would have been cut into the mould (Note the rest of the intaglio design was proud on the mould). Thus the glass would fill the shape of the prunts and appear cameo on the surface.

I hope this makes sense (it's not easy to put into words).

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Prunts
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 07:13:39 PM »
Just musing on a (pointless?) point of interest ...

Since I happen to have a couple of examples of the "Curved Star" celery vases (in clear, rather than coloured / iridised), I re-checked the prunts for any mould marks.

Sure enough, the four prunts that coincide with the four-part mould edges do show evidence of the moulding line but it is not easy to see this without a magnifier and also getting the light just right. Another point that "confirms" the integral pressed prunts on these items is that all eight prunts are in perfect alignment around the body, both vertically and horizontally.

So ... given that these vases are made in a 4-part mould, I wonder if the design could have ben altered slightly such that none of the prunts would have shown mould lines and given us collectors an opportunity to wonder whether these were later-applied.

Hmm. So much for the strange thoughts that pass through my brain in idle moments  :)
KevinH

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
Prunts
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 07:20:45 PM »
Kev, that would not surprise me at all. The Brockwitz mould shop was a masterful and highly skilled operation. So much so that a high profile party of glass craftsmen from the UK visited them during a trip to Europe - the entire visit being reported in the Pottery Gazette in 1928.

Your keen observation and incisive thoughtfulness are much appreciated.

Glen

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Prunts
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 08:39:04 PM »
How common or un-common is a 4 part mold ?
Pete

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
Prunts
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 09:03:14 PM »
Well, I just picked about ten pieces of European Carnival up at random, and over half of them came from four part moulds.

I haven't gone through the rest of the collection (USA, European etc., etc., etc). It could take some time.

Glen

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Prunts
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 09:11:32 PM »
Oh please Glen don't worry further. Your sample is sufficient to tell me that it's not as peculiar as I had imagined. It's just that the vast majority of my pressed glass vases are 3 part. This has a bearing on another thread which I shall now return to. Thank you for your help. Peter
Pete

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
Prunts
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 09:13:54 PM »
Peter, I would guess that a lot of the USA Classic Carnival will be three part moulds. But there are certainly plenty of my European items that are from four parts (one of them is a teeny tiny bowl - so quite an amazing mould for that exquisite little piece).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand