No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Prunts  (Read 12870 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Prunts
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 03:35:29 PM »
:D:D:D

I may have to ressurect this post at some time when I've got a camera - 'cos although it doesn't have a prunt, I have obtained recently a beautiful vaseline glass acorn! :D 8) :D. Not an Audrey, but it will do.
(acorns were just mentioned)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Prunts
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 04:09:25 PM »
Let me guess .... is it an 'Acorn & Leaf Chalice'?   :shock:  :D

I have seen them attributed to Northwood, Dugan and (strangely, I thought!) Moser, but I'm not an expert in American vaseline / uranium glass.  (Well, I'm not actually an expert in any sort of glass  :oops:  :roll:  :lol: )  Does anyone know who actually made them?  And I understand repros were made by somebody after the 1930's.  Anyone know by whom?

Hurry up and get your camera, Sue!   :shock:  :roll:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Prunts
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 05:51:24 PM »
If it's the acorn and leaf chalice (a spooner really) I think you think it is, it's by Mosser Glass http://www.mosserglass.com/ Lovely things but lacking that old factor

And here is one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7409750836

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Prunts
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 08:26:08 PM »

:oops: Sorry for my delay in replying - the notification was over the page in my in-box.

My acorn is just an acorn. It has bent, sort of pointy, leafy feet, like the thorn vases. It might have had 3 at one time, but only has 2 now. It's big, for an acorn, and it is hollow, with a lip. You could get your pinkie tip in it. It's very sweet. :D
 :? I suspected something Stourbridge-y, perhaps frigger-y. :?:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Prunts
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2006, 02:34:00 AM »
Sue, is it anything like any of these?
I couldn't quite tell if you meant the vase itself was acorn-shaped or if it had applied decorations...sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree on this one!
Anyway, Victoriana buffs should enjoy these! :)

Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Prunts
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2006, 07:33:15 AM »
They all glow wonderfully green under U.V,despite their whiteness!
All of the white cased items with applied flowers & the like that I've got in my collection have uranium.It's odd that it was used to make white glass, but I'm not complaining! :D
In fact, when I first got a black light a few years ago, I was happily shining it around the house at all the obvious pieces of vaseline glass- & was very surprised to see all the white things that turned green! :shock:
I tried it on my glass button collection later & found that a lot of rather plain looking white buttons have a double life as glowing green ones!
Hours of fun! :lol:
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Prunts
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2006, 08:15:37 AM »

Oh - I know I need that camera! Trouble is, I have this non-nagging policy. It works.... eventually.  :twisted:

I've been upstairs and got hold of my acorn, I can actually get my entire finger into it, but I've got quite small hands. It's not a vase, it may have been for spills or toothpicks, but the narrow opening leaves me thinking it is just a table decoration. The narrow opening is in the top of the nut.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Prunts
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2006, 09:56:11 AM »
LOL :lol: at Sue with a large glass acorn stuck on her finger.

I have a small collection of white uranium glass: two Victorian baskets, a Victorian bowl, a small Victorian vase, a piece of American depression glass (I did know the manufacturer but the only name that comes to me is Kerr-McGee and thats an oil company!) and a piece of souvenir ware  from Canada that might be Fenton custard glass,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand