No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Have just started to learn need some help with ID  (Read 2475 times)

Offline irenecav

• Members
  • IreneCav.
Have just started to learn need some help with ID
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:43:01 AM »
I just love the icy pure clean clarity of this glass I am still reading and learning but are these Scandinivian, I thought they might be Ittallia, any help would be appreciated, thank you.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564203662lGSHFj
I think therefore I am

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Have just started to learn need some help with ID
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 06:11:09 AM »
Hi:  looks like Niva by Tapio Wirkkala for iitala.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline irenecav

• Members
  • IreneCav.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 12:56:06 PM »
HELLO David thank you so much, I have the book "Smoke & Ice it is the most I have ever paid for a book and I did see some designs that where similar but was not sure, I also picked up a pair of glasses with the "i" label but dont know who designed them. I have been collecting and selling art glass (American), my collection is getting so out of control am having to build new shelves. But have devolped such a feel for it I can tell pretty much who made it and when. Is there any information online about how to identify patterns or catalogs. Thank you once again I truly appreciate your help, till next time au revoir.
I think therefore I am

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 04:16:20 PM »
Glass books are expensive, aren't they. I know how easy it is to get attracted to Scandinavian glass, to the extent, that, over time, you also become a collector of glass books. I like Smoke & Ice, and Fire & Sea is also good. Bill Geary's Scandinavian Glass also. For tableware, there's replacements.com, but, although I have quite few Scandinavian sites bookmarked, it's books I use most. I checked iitala, 125 years of Finish Glass for your piece, for example. I justify the cost of the books by telling myself that without them, I wouldn't have found the bargains I have found. I don't know if I've managed to convince myself--and I certainly haven't convinced my wife--but the books have led to purchasing beautiful pieces at very reasonable prices. Perhaps not the top of the line pieces like ariel or graal, but certainly pieces I love.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 12:22:03 AM »
Rest of off topic posts split to Cafe: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,22204.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand