No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano bird or Chinese??? - ID = China  (Read 4281 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Murano bird or Chinese??? - ID = China
« on: July 27, 2008, 09:34:10 PM »
I keep seeing these delightful little glass birds for sale listed as either Murano or Isle of Wight glass.
Does anybody know what they are? I always thought they were Chinese.  I have 3, two without labels and one with a Made in China label.
Any ideas anyone?

Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Murano???
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:22:42 AM »
one with a Made in China label
I think you answered your own question. Always take ebay attributions wiht a large pinch of salt, Murano and Whitefriars being two prime examples. Chinese paperweighty type thingys usually have a matt not particularly round bottom. Unfortunately, ebay self-perpetuates its own myths. Made in China is rarely a selling point unless it's an old Chinese white paperweight, but if you like it buy it

I'm sure Frank would love some pictures of your animals for the Glass Zoo. All species are welcome but labelled or identified examples get extra rations

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 07:17:47 AM »
Gosh, I thought it was only me that got up that early!  Thanks for your reply.......so, do you think this is Chinese, or have you an idea that it might be from another maker/country?

Any further thoughts on these little birds would be gratefully received. There are 3 others on eBay at the moment, one is a yellow one and the other two are similar to the one shown, with the third being more colourful.

I will be doing a lot of photography soon, as a way of cataloguing my collection.  I will be very happy to share these images with you all at the 'Glass Zoo' when I have got round to it.
Rosie.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:27:59 AM »
They are almost certainly Chinese, although it's possible some might be Eastern European. The glass industry in China is huge and I suspect much of the 'simple' hotworked' stuff is still outsourced to 'home workers' or small units as it was in the past.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:54:56 AM »
Mod: For reference, the eBay item number of the bird (completed auction) is 320277012498 - and the listing shows that the seller was not 100% sure of the attribution.
The eBay image has been removed from the original post in line with board guidelines.
KevinH

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:26:44 PM »
 :-[ I hadn't realised that it wasn't Rosie's bird

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 02:19:07 PM »
Hi all, have written to Kevin with abject apologies, and have promised to be very good and just give link numbers in future. I thought once they were sold, it was OK to use the picture, but I now know better.

The seller, incidently, only revised the listing description after I has messaged to say I thought it was Chinese. You can see the revision in the listing description as an addition.

Here is a picture of my little glass bird....my very own....so that there is a picture on record for all you great people who have given such helpful info.
Rosie.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 04:30:52 AM »
Thanks Rosie, that's brilliant!  :clap:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum