No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Seguso vase  (Read 12924 times)

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
Seguso vase
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:46:06 PM »
 Hi everyone
I bought this vase at an auction on Friday, I paid £60 for it and I'm really pleased with it.

1st, I think the vase is suffering from the same symptom as discussed in this topichttp://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,395.0.html

2nd, the pic with the label shows the bottom of the vase has this mottled appearance, am I right to think this is a result of the same problem ?

3rd, regardless of the prob's, I bought this vase (60 quid's a lot to me) because I thought it was such an unusual design for Morano, with no striking colours. The vase is a monster
39cm high, 19 cm wide.
Also it gives me a Seguso label and signature, which I hadn't got already.
I have tried to research the A.V. in the signature but have come up with different answers.
Does anyone know which Seguso works it comes from ?

4th and lastly, sorry for all these questions but, anyone have an idea of value, don't worry if i've paid over the odds, I'm chuffed with it but would be interested to know.

many thanks (again)

martin

""edit""  I almost forgot, can someone tell me what "geode" means ?
thanks again
martin

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Seguso vase
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 09:39:02 PM »
The Seguso VA stands for Seguso Vetri d'Arte. I don't know about the mottling. Could it be part of the decoration? Have you tried to clean the vase? Sometimes stubborn stains can be removed by denture cleaner tablets (fill the vase with water and add a couple) or toilet bowl cleaner (the type that clings to the sides).

I don't recognize the vase, so don't know what it should look like.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 09:52:08 PM »
I'm going to try that tomorrow Anita, vinegar didn't work.
as you said you don't recognize the vase, that was my attraction to it, "you never know", syndrome.

thanks though

martin
martin

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 10:26:11 PM »
A shield label was used by SVA until late 1970's, so your piece is definitely post 70's.  I've got an SVA piece with a different label, which I'm pretty sure is from the 1990's, which means your vase could be from some time in the 1980's. It's a nice piece and definitely worth trying to clean

I've tried the solutions (no pun intended) that Anita's suggests, as well as others. It seems different stuff works for different stains and different glass. I've also used something I bought on eBay called "The restorer" by Collector's Secret. It didn't work on everything I tried it on, but it did a good job (at double the recommended concentration although I started with the recommended amounts) on a Gunnel Nyman serpent vase. IMHO, that alone made it a worthwhile purchase.

Good luck.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 10:30:18 PM »
I forgot to mention that if you use the toilet bowl cleaner, rinse the vase with water first, then let the cleaner drip down the sides. You can let it set for a while, then wipe and clean it with a paper towel. I wrap the paper towel around a bamboo skewer, with a little of the towel hanging off the end, secure the towel with a ring of tape at the top, then swish it like a bottle brush. It is a good way to clean glass that has a mouth too small to get the hand in.

It would be a lot easier if I could get some of the bottle brushes that they used in labs.  :)

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 06:37:23 AM »
Is the mottling on the inside or the outside? If on the outside, unless it is actually oily, I think it is meant it is meant to be there. It looks like stannous chloride or something similar and I'd be careful of trying to remove it because you could actually damage the surface.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 10:14:10 AM »
thanks everyone,

I'm only going to try a very gentle attempt at cleaning, otherwise it stays as is. All part of the vase.

martin

bye the way any idea's on value?
martin

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:28:50 AM »
The signature seems..uhh...a bit scratchy  :huh: for a firm such as Seguso.  Can anyone confirm it is correct? 

I am not a man

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 11:59:01 AM »
Hi Max a lot of first class engraving looks like that when magnified ,have a look at some of you fine pieces you will notice the difference. JP . HIMAX sounds like a lorry  :chky: ;) ;)

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 07:48:09 PM »
I'm ready to be shot down in flames but,

I've only just realized that the signature is A.V. not V.A. so is Vetri d'Arte correct.

Wouldn't it be V.A.

Where as Artistica Vetreria would fit the A.V.

I'm way out of my depth here, I'm not disrespecting the knowledge of you all, I've just got a bit confused after a lot of reading.
martin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand