No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Seguso vase  (Read 13001 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Seguso vase
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 08:53:45 PM »
I found the Seguso AV vase through Google and didn't pay much attention that the auction ended a while back. The number is 330250237590 for the people who want to see the signature without having to retrace my steps. Glad you were able to track down the vase I was referring to, Martin.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 09:44:33 PM »
Thanks Anita.  :)  At least that signature is similar.  If acid has been used on that sellers vase, then maybe it's bitten into the signature to 'round it out' (for want of a better term).  I'm glad to see at least a similar signing style has been used.

Would be nice if someone withe Seguso experience could take a look...maybe Christine's suggestion of Alex is a good idea.

I am not a man

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 12:54:02 PM »
Hi,
I don't have a final answer, but I'll try to give my contribution to this interesting issue.

1) Seguso is a pretty common name in Murano as in Venice and there are several people involved in glassmaking with this name. Also the seguso family has very acient roots in Murano and therefore there are some different branches with their own related companies.
Anyway these are the Seguso Companies now working:

Seguso Gianni Vetreria Artistica Artigiana

Seguso Vetri D'Arte

Seguso Viro Vetreria Artistica

Seguso Viro Galleria D'Arte Del Vetro

Matteo Seguso Incisore D'Arte su Vetro

Roscano Bottega D'arte Di Gianandrea Seguso

Vetreria Artistica Archimede Seguso Srl

Seguso Gianni Vetreria Artistica

Seguso Livio Studio

I know other 3-4 glass companies with a "seguso" in the name, now closed or renamed.

2) For my experience I have seen that the main part of the signatures are applied not by one single master glassmakers, but by somebody else. Often the pieces are stocked in the warehouse unsigned and they are singed just before the packing and shipping, may be by the same people in charge to pack them. It means a) that the signatures can be not always identical in the time; b) that these people don't care too much about the "quality" of the signature (mistakes in the name, or a AV instead of a VA, et similia)

3) Anyway this signature in photo looks at least as made by somebody not very use to write with a Dremel. Considering that also if specialized of packing and boxing, every worker in Murano is used to engrave glass with a diamond drill, I suppose that this signature can be applied in a second time by somebody else, may be to add value to the piece before to sell it (so many clients ask for a signature also on small items). If I translate Art Glass in Italian looks as Arte Vetro (A.V.), but the correct translation is Vetro d'arte (V.A. or VdA).
Also: the style and the label say as end '70s/'80s not '50s.
May be a signature made in a second time by somebody not italian?

Sincerely

Alex

http://www.artofvenice.com

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 06:45:45 PM »
Alex,, thanks, what a lot of information  :hiclp:.
thank you.

I was going to keep the vase even if it was dodgy, I thought it would be a useful item to look back on with future purchases.
What a stupid idea :hb2: when a few photo's would do the same job.
The vase is also to big for my house, I have nothing that can take it safely away from the dog and my sons.
I only bought 2 pieces at the auction, this 1 and a vase labeled "Scottish glass". Guess what, it wasn't Scottish, its 1 of Franks infamous "cellophane vases".
That 1 as it happens I'm really pleased with, the more I look at it the better it gets.

So if I may ask, what would be a realistic value for the Seguso vase ? its got to go, I wish I had more room. Also, again if I can be cheeky and ask you, how would one describe such a vase with a questionable signature. I've been racking my brains (yep the whole 20 seconds) and any desciptions I come up with would end up putting people off the vase.

To go off subject, the reason you have suddenly been lumbered with me is that I was pensioned off through ill health earlier this year. At 47 I can't do nothing, so I decided this was the time to do what I've always wanted to. So I am trying to build up a small stock of quality Murano and others occasionally, so that I can run a small internet business from home.
I no its littered with failures but at least I'l know that I gave it a go.
On the good side I'm loving every minute of it, keeps the little grey cells working.
I was intending to have my own site but I'm not any good at computer thingy's and after seeing the cost of someone else designing my site, there's no way. So I'll use one of the sites that cater for this market.

And I can't tell you all and a certain other site how much I appreciate your knowledge.
Has that upped the value of my vase?  hehe

Not forgetting, that after Alex's wonderful information it seems Max was right on the money all along  :hiclp:

Oh yes, look out, I bought a pair of Blackamoor figures at an auction today  :angel:  (oh no not again  :chky:)
martin

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 10:15:50 PM »
Not forgetting, that after Alex's wonderful information it seems Max was right on the money all along 

Well....we're not entirely sure about that!  It's not conclusive.  You could probably get your money back from the auction house (should you want to) for the 'Scottish' vase as an expert has said that it isn't Scottish.   :cry:

And my BIG  thanks to Alex too, for taking the time to help us again.   :-* :-*

I am not a man

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 10:25:07 PM »
Probably but I prefer it for what it is,

as I said I'm pleased with that one.

martin

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 11:20:17 AM »
Hi,
I think that 60 £ is a very reasonable price for a vessel like that one. Now in Murano you can't buy nothing than junk glass for less than 100 Euro, or very small and mass produced glass jewellery. So, signature or not singature, keep that piece that it was not a bad deal.

Ciao

Alex

www.artofvenice.com

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
thanks for that alex    ;D
martin

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 05:46:21 PM »
This vase is fine. I think the "damage" is an intentional surface decoration, although without seeing the piece in person I can't be sure. The label is post 1970s - this is a different Seguso VA than the 1950s company.  Everything is right with the world.  The vase is lovely.  ;D

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 06:01:55 PM »
Laura, I think I love you  :-*

thanks for that. I ts certainly been an interesting discussion.   :hiclp:
martin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum