No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dartington, Frank Thrower?? Or Ravenhead Flair Lotus, or Lasisepat?  (Read 29903 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
This listing is on eBay at the moment: 
 Dartington/Frank Thrower 1970's Textured Glass Vase Item number: 120283990551

I am interested, as I have 2 smaller versions and have seen others listed in the past. I have never been certain that mine were Dartington or Frank Thrower, can anyone identify it, and if so, was there a 'Pattern' name?

Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Dartington, Frank Thrower??
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 05:33:41 PM »
These cactus-type vases are not Dartington (that's one of those ebay urban myths). Similar ones have been found in Ravenhead boxes and there is also the thought that they are Lasisepat. Do a board search on cactus. It's possible that they were marked by Ravenhead - it was quite a big brand in the 1970s

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:34:36 PM »
I have one of these as well.  Having read through the previous posts on the Finnish ones, the one I have does have a circular mould line on the base.  The base is textured but a lot less than the 'cactus petals'.  The stem bit is less textured than the petals as well.  The petals (for want of a better description) are also different heights.
one at 16cm, 3 at 15.5cm, 1 at 15cm and the last at 14.7cm.
I love them.
m

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 05:05:37 PM »
Thanks 'm', I was going to put a photo of my bowls on record, as they are smaller than the one I mentioned for sale on eBay. Do you by any chance have a picture of your one for comparison?
You mention some previous posts on some Finnish ones.....where can I see those? I have spent hours (literally!) looking through the posts, but keep getting sidetracked.....spent most of last evening on a detour round the Ronneby site! This glass collecting lark is addictive, isn't it?
Rosie.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 05:19:43 PM »
hmm at the mo I find myself incapable of working out how to post pics but mine is I believe exactly like the one you are referring to on ebay.
The thread on the smaller ones - if you type in 'six bowls' under search option, the first thread that comes up has smaller bowls that I think were attributed to Lasisepat, Finland?
m

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 05:44:42 PM »
Wow! Yes!! These are exactly like mine!! Thanks 'm' so much! So they are Lasisepat then.
I always thought they weren't Dartington, and when I wrote to Caroline Blight, she sent me the following:-

This design has never been a standard production range for Dartington
Crystal and so I think your thoughts of it being Scandinavian could
possibly be correct. Having liased with Hilary again and consulted our
archive here there is no such design and so I am afraid I am unable to
give you any further information.

Regards,

Caroline 

I will now send her the name of the maker, so that should she get further enquiries, she can tell them what they are.
What a fab bunch you all are!!
But there is more to come, wait till you see the oblong dish I am going to ask for help with!!!
Hold onto your seats!
Rosie.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 10:07:49 PM »
Six bowls topic is here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7042.0.html

M if you want pics adding and can't manage the resize, send them to me via email and I'll resize and add them in for you.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
 :) thanks.  I just thought I would add, in case this comes up again, that I think, although the link has gone, I remember the taller one  was attributed to Ravenhead 'Flair' perhaps?
M

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 08:08:18 PM »
Hi, just been on the Whitefriars website; listing 3096 in the 'Is it Whitefriars?', shows what is believed to be a Ravenhead 'Flair' piece. A flatter, stumpy, heavier piece than 'our stuff'. 
I have found some 'Cactus' pieces listed on eBay, both UK &  Australia, and on a website called 'H is for Home' ,   ( for those of us who remember the 60's/70's!). The website for Lasisepat, Mantsala, Finland is bereft of any useful information, so the mystery is still unsolved!

Rosie.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »
Hi just thought I would add that I have bought another of these of a similar size today as my other.  Similar size but not quite.  The 'stem' is the same height and the width of the base at the bottom is too, but each of the petals of the vase are 1cm smaller in height than my other vase and the width is 1cm narrower when measuring from petal to petal. Other than that it is the same.  It also has a mould circle on the base. Having been through the previous posts I do feel this is the same range as the ones posted under 'six bowls' and as the one Robbo posted a pic of on that thread or linked thread, with a label Lasisepat.  I am just wondering why it would be one centimetre smaller than my other if it was from a mould?
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand