No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black vase with bubble inclusions, etched surface  (Read 3491 times)

Offline subversivegrrl

• Members
Black vase with bubble inclusions, etched surface
« on: December 18, 2012, 08:16:48 PM »
Size is ~9"/23 cm - exterior has a satin/etched finish.  There are bubble inclusions throughout.  I would estimate the thickness of the wall at the neck at about 3/16"/4 mm. The bottom has no pontil mark, the center is recessed, and there's a fair amount of wear (can see it pretty well in the photo), which is my only real indication that it's not recent production.  The rim is ground and polished. 

I've concluded it is not US-made, and am guessing it's European, which is not my strong suit - I'm hoping someone here can ID or at least give me some suggestions of manufacturers to look into.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Black vase with bubble inclusions, etched surface
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 01:54:57 AM »
A very interesting piece. It looks as if it's been dipped in acid, a look I haven't seen before. The inclusions and bubbles make me think of Germany or Sweden, but nothing quite similar springs to mind.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 08:03:36 AM »
The fine bubbles and the mould remind me of Braine-le-Comte from Belgium - however so far  have only seen those in green.  Empoli is supposed to have made similar things but I have never handled one - the only information was in a badly printed catalogue from the 1960s with grainy photographs. Further candidates include Weisswasser in the 1970s and an unknown maker from Romania circa 1980s.  Sorry for this wide answer.

Offline subversivegrrl

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 09:18:34 PM »
I'm grateful for any suggestions!  It also has been suggested to me on another glass-related site that the somewhat impractical, angular form might be German.  So I have multiple avenues to follow up on - crossing my fingers that one will eventually take me to the right answer.

Offline John Smith

• Members
    • glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:02:57 PM »
Not seen one before, but it could have had 'chalk' added to the second batch of glass which can often produce a mulitude of trapped bubbles, before then being cased and then sandblasted perhaps, or as David said, acid bathed.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »
The shape of the vase is a shape produced at early (Harris period) Mdina and at MDG - exactly the same shape.
However, the colour and finish would preclude either of them. I don't believe the shape was produced after '77 at Mdina, and I don't know the exact date MDG closed, but it was probably by about '80.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline subversivegrrl

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 08:10:17 PM »
Would be nice if it were Mdina or MDG - do you think it's a knock-off, then?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 08:33:17 PM »
Sue's saying it's not Mdina or MDG and I doubt that something like would be a knock off

Offline subversivegrrl

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 04:47:47 AM »
No, I understood that Sue was saying the shape is right but color/surface are wrong - when I said "knock-off" I just meant someone copying the form from Mdina/MDG.

I'm afraid this one will remain a perpetual unknown, which absolutely drives me nuts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand