No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Any twitchers out there!  (Read 3543 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Any twitchers out there!
« on: August 01, 2008, 01:54:38 PM »
Hi,
I purchased this Mats Jonasson bird paperweight last weekend but I have been unable to find out what bird it is.
Is it a woodpecker, treecreeper, nuthatch or something else. I think it's quite an old piece as there are movement scratches on the base along with MJ's sig and also the number 9367 although the number is not easy to make out due to the feint scratches.
Any ideas please?
Cheers
Bryn

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
Re: Any twitchers out there!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:12:21 PM »
I'll have a look when I go home. Otherwise, write to Målerås, they are very sweet people. The number is an old one, just four digits.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 06:51:28 PM »
Thanks a40ty, I'll give that a try.
Cheers,
Bryn

Offline PAUL H

• Members
    • GREAT RETRO GLASS
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:41:05 PM »
Hi.. I'm pretty sure that its a Common Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris) which is resident and widespread in Sweden. Paul
GREAT RETRO GLASS

Classic 20th Century Design

www.greatretroglass.com

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 06:14:41 AM »
Hi Bryn, I'm sorry , it's not in any of the litterature I have here.

mail@matsjonasson.com
best of luck :)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 06:55:45 PM »
Hi,
Just to let you know that I have emailed the matsjonasson site as you advised. Will let you know when reply received. Much obliged. It might well be a treecreeper.

Cheers,
Bryn

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 03:50:57 PM »
Just to let you know that I contacted the Matsjonasson web site, but they have no records that go back as far as my paperweight I'm afraid, they say it is a pre 1990 item and as such is no longer on their records. So the birdie remains a mystery  :huh:

Bryn

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 04:39:20 PM »
Looks like a Nuthatch but thats another name for Treecreeper.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 04:54:03 PM »
Hi,
Yes I think that's what it is, but just wanted to confirm. Thanks.

Bryn

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 11:51:18 PM »
Looks like a Nuthatch but thats another name for Treecreeper.
Different species! Nuthatch is sitta europaea, and Treecreeper is Certhia Familiaris.

The bird in the weight has features that could suggest Treecreeper but its position and stance on the "branch" is not what I am used to as they usually land on trunks of trees before moving upwards (but then I've only seen a few Treecreeper). In the weight, the tail seems to be pressed against something, causing it to curve along the edge of the weight. Treecreepers certainly use the tail in that way but, again, I have only seen them doing their thing on trunks so I can't commment much on whether the stance shown is lifelike (and Jonasson creatures tend to be lifelike!).

Another thing in favour of Treecreeper is the bill which appears to be downcurved. However it looks a little thicker at the base of the bill than I would expect.

I don't think it's a Nuthatch because the tail is too long and the bill is not 'strong and straight'. The stance on an open "branch" might suggest Wryneck (type of small woodpecker), which is definitely well spread across mainland Europe, but the bill doesn't look right for that and the body seems too short and 'chubby'.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand