No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: venini glass bottle  (Read 3113 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
venini glass bottle
« on: August 14, 2005, 07:23:10 PM »
has anyone on here got the venini glass book? i've just picked up a venini bottle very cheap and just wondering who the designer was, it's 14.5" high, peppermint stripes with gold aventurine and has the three lined acid stamp on the base " venini murano italia " but is faint and for love of money can not get it to show in the photo, i think this dates it before 1966

click on image for larger photo

cheers Ray

Anonymous

venini glass bottle
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 09:38:39 PM »
First of all, it is a decanter missing a stopper.  Is the signature acid etched , three lines? If so, that makes it mid 20th Century production.

These types of bottles are usually not attributed to any particular designer, although some books say they were designed by Paolo Venini.

Offline RAY

• Members
venini glass bottle
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 09:42:44 PM »
i though decanter but there are no marks inside the neck to say so, i bought it at a carboot sale and it had a candle in the top :shock:
cheers Ray

Offline CathyG

• Members
venini glass bottle
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 05:42:07 PM »
The is something I've been wondering about. Is there anyway to tell if a bottle "vase" is supposed to have a stopper. I know the couple I have are not ground and it would be impossible to tell if they were designed to have a stopper unless you have a picture. I have my eye on a beautiful "vase" but I'm unsure if it originally had a stopper. My thought is that is didn't because the top is flared out and looks to me to be a vase, but I have seen decanters with a flared out neck and a stopper so I'm unsure. Anyone thoughts?

CathyG
Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
A Source for Mid Century Art Glass
Lots of Blenko!

Anonymous

venini glass bottle
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 06:56:18 PM »
The decanter shown in this post was definitely supposed to have a stopper. Venini often did not grind the interior of their bottles, so that is no way to tell if a piece had a stopper or not. The only way to tell is to know the venini forms. A look at the Venini catalogues will show that this particular shape, with its narrow neck and flattened rim, was never sold as a vase.

Generically, if the interior of the neck is ground then the piece was made as a decanter. If it is unground then you have to know the item or company in question.

Offline CathyG

• Members
venini glass bottle
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 02:21:56 PM »
Yes, I know this piece was never sold as a vase, to me it doesn't look like it would have been a vase because of the long skinny neck and flat top. But this thread brought a question to mind for me. I was wondering if there was a way to tell if a piece is a decanter or vase without a picture. Like I suggested about the flared top of a piece. I know of makers that ground pieces to receive stoppers and they also made pieces with stoppers that didn't need to be ground depending on the design. Some makers make decanters and matching vases in the same design. You can easily tell the difference because of the neck on the piece. Since I don't have many books on Italian glass I was wondering if that could be the case with Italian glass also, I guessing that's not the case.
Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
A Source for Mid Century Art Glass
Lots of Blenko!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand