No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ? is this by Jiri Repasek  (Read 4849 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
? is this by Jiri Repasek
« on: August 04, 2008, 09:45:29 PM »
I have a vase which I have been trying to research.  In the course of which I have been reading past posts and become confused  :-\
It is the same as a vase posted under misses on the whitefriars site no 1186 (I hope it is ok to refer), but in amethyst. 
If it is, does anyone have any idea of year of design?  I think I have now ascertained it is neither SkloUnion nor Royal Bohemia :), but is it Bohemian then?  And was it a good find  ;D
any help would be very much appreciated and thanks in advance.
m

Mod: It's fine to post a link:  http://www.whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?pageNum_Mistaken=13&totalRows_Mistaken=345&ID=1186

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: ? is this by Jiri Repasek
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 06:02:23 AM »

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 07:45:21 AM »
This is definitely Sklo Union, pattern number 482, from the Rosice factory. Definitely NOT designed by Jiri Repasek.
And was it a good find?
Yes.  ;D ;D
Regards,
Marcus

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 09:15:07 AM »
Oh thank you all so much for replying.
Ivo I should have put Royal in inverted comma's   :D I had never heard of 'royal' Bohemia until I started wandering through the posts and realised it was a bone of contention.
Marcus many many thanks for replying as you must be really busy at the moment.  It is much appreciated.  I was slightly embarassed to ask as I  realise this has appeared attributed I believe?? to JR, but from my reading it then appeared not to be.  I will wait until the book comes out to see more :)
Thank you again.
M

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 09:33:12 AM »
Royal Bohemia came about after someone dreamt it up and sent attributed images to Millers Guide. As those guides (and WF.com) have a long life it will continue to pop up for a long time to come. Royal Bohemia is alive and well...

Dorling Kindersley have not quite given it up though http://www.antiques.dk.com/browse.php/Modern%20Classics/Glass/Czech/1
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220264095092

This will help  :huh: complete with the history - if you can read it, being a Czech site clearly authoritative  :D http://rbg.cz/html/index.htm

And with the authority of a Marcus Newall  :P  http://bootyliciousbargains.co.uk/sklo.aspx  ;D

Who probably helped this seller with the additional information they added to their Scandinavian Sklo Union vase sale http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300246146917

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 09:42:33 AM »
Royal Bohemia does actually appear on labels I believe

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 12:11:04 PM »
Frank thank you - makes interesting(confusing) reading when trying to research as a novice.  I DO love a good chandelier  ;D (and sometimes wish I'd won the lottery in order to buy one) and those are just fab.
Marcus, thanks so much again for the information.  I think, having now done a further trawl of this site  :angel: with your information  I have managed to identify the designer   ;D , so I am very pleased with myself. 
m

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 10:40:46 AM »
Clearly Whitefriars.com still believe there is   

The dates of the entries on Whitefriars.com are some two years ago.

There are examples of this vase at the Hi Sklo Lo Sklo exhibition under the designer name Jiri Brabec. Also photo and description on page 72 of Mark Hill's book by the same name as the exhibition.

Nigel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 10:41:58 PM »
Thank you Christine and Nigel for replying.  Sorry for my late reply but we've been on hols.  Christine I think that's where I became confused somewhere along the line, I'm sure I saw something labelled in my search and on an official attribution somewhere, but then decided to plump for no to Royal based on more recent posts on here.  Nigel many thanks  :). Just before we went away I found a beautiful display pic from the exhibition with the name listed.  Gorgeous vases - I now need to find one in citrine? I think it was, and blue.  Lovely colours! This is my absolute favourite so far of the very few I have   :'(  of sklo union glass.  I love to do my own research, bit like doing a difficult crossword really  ;D and the gratification in finding the answer is part of the fun, but on this one I had become so confused about what I was searching for that I began to think I'd never find the right answer  ::).  So thank you  all.
m

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 08:10:18 PM »
Royal Bohemia does actually appear on labels I believe
I think it's another urban myth Christine. I recently had correspondence with an Ebay seller who genuinely believed he had items with a "Royal Bohemia" label. When I said "Bohemia, yes; Royal ????? I would like to see that !" He checked and found that they were the usual Bohemia Glass labels we all know and love.
A dictum gets started and spread until people believe what others write more readily than what is actually written on their own glass !
It's usually worth asking the seller of the Victorian vase made in Czechoslovakia what it actually says on the label. It's funny how often I don't get a response to that one when they actually read it and it says Czech Republic. At least the penny has dropped ....one hopes. Small victories.
Peter 
Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand