No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Oiva Toikka??  (Read 19821 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Oiva Toikka??
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:22:24 AM »
More help needed please..... :-*

I have about a dozen of these lovely birds, and am thinking of bidding for this one   http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180271187788
However, my reason for hesitating is that I have never attributed Oiva Toikka as the designer, but thought they were made at the Taidelasi Glassworks in Espoon, Finland.
There are only a few hours to go, but can anybody out there tell me who the designer is? :huh:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Pat

• Members
Re: Oiva Toikka??
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 06:26:51 PM »
I had one signed by Oiva Toikka. They are also shown in the Finnish Design Lasin catalogue.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 11:58:37 AM »
I am pretty sure this was not designed by Oiva Toikka.  All the Toikka birds are signed on the bottom as far as I know.  The final price would have been okay (or actually quite good) for a Toikka bird.  Not so sure, however, for this one.  Nice colour though.

Tuija

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 12:42:20 PM »
I tend to agree Tuija, here is a link to  my collection, the one in the foreground, left, shown separately, is identical to the one that was sold, and it has an Art Glass Team Finland sticker on it (like several of the others), and no Oiva Toikka signature.
I have individual pictures of all the birds if you would like them posted here.......just let me know.
Rosie.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 01:36:12 PM »
I don't really know enough about these to make a sweeping generalisation....so do feel free to correct me....but
so far as I know the bird shown has a couple of characteristic features, both slightly technical, which so far as `I am aware are not usually to befound in Oiva Toikka birds.

1. The head has been made from an over-gather, by dipping one side of the first stage bubble into the furnace.

2. The tail has been made by shearing, rather than by using tweezers. Thus the tail has two elements.

Both these features suggest that it is not by Oiva Toikka.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 02:46:22 PM »
Yes, they are good observations, and the overgather is certainly not typical of O.T. in my experience (albeit very limited), but the tail is only like this on some of them.

If you look at the picture I sent, many of them just have a single tail feather, and are pinched, not sheared.

I have pictured a few more, individually to see if this throws more light on the subject.

Two of those birds are actually Haparanda Glasbruk Swedish birds: 1st & 2nd.

One of them is of unknown origin, a metallic knobbly finish with pinched 'wings' on either side:3rd.

Nearly all the others are either labelled Taidelasi Oy and are from Espoon, Finland, or Art Glass Team Finland.

I bought  the tiny white one from the USA recently, sadly, it has no label: 4th.
Rosie.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 02:49:52 PM »
Sorry!! :-[Slight technical hitch there, this is number 3! 
It's always the most interesting one this happens to, isn't it! ::)
Rosie.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 05:40:02 PM »
ohhhh Rosie, ive just picked up a little birdie with what appears to be the same metalic knobbly finish as in the picture above (just trying to research and found this thread)
Mine IS SIGNED !!!! Very faintly and currently struggling to figure it out.
Is yours hollow?. Mine appears to be a different shape to yours, will get some pictures a bit later
michelle

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 07:28:42 PM »
Hurry hurry with the photo Michelle.... mine is hollow .... yes!
Rosie.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 08:11:38 PM »
Have just added pics on facebook, will get some for here now too

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand