No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hi Sklo Lo Sklo - Mark Hill  (Read 9766 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
Hi Sklo Lo Sklo - Mark Hill
« on: August 07, 2008, 01:42:30 PM »
(Mark has authorised me to put details of his new book on the Glass Message board)

By Mark Hill,

Hi Sklo Lo Sklo: Czech Glass Design From Masterpiece to Mass-Produced

148 pages, softback
243mm x 170mm portrait
Published July 2008 -- AVAILABLE NOW!
Price: £20

ISBN-10: 0-9552865-3-0
ISBN-13: 978-0-9552865-3-7

The 1950s-70s saw a renaissance in Czech glass design that re-established the country's global reputation in this area. From behind the Iron Curtain, skilled designers pushed the boundaries of 20th century glass design and produced unique art glass masterpieces that went on to inspire visually stunning mass-produced ranges. Exported and sold around the world as art glass for the home, these modern and vibrantly coloured designs became enormously successful. Despite this, the designers responsible were rarely named. Today, the designs they produced typically lie forgotten or misattributed.

This is the first publication to bring together and identify many of these works, and includes hot-worked, cut, engraved, gilded and enamelled designs. Factories include the Sklo Union group, Exbor, Borské Sklo, Harrachov, Skrdlovice, Moser and Zelezny Brod. Designers include, Emanuel and Jan Beranek, Josef Hospodka, Vladimir Jelinek, Rudolf Jurnikl, Milan Metelak, Josef Svarc, Jirí Suhajek, Frantisek Vizner, Karel Wunsch, Vladimir Zahour and Frantisek Zemek An illustrated introduction also gives an overview of the fascinating story behind the creation of these avant garde works. With over 200 specially commissioned, full colour images including labels and signatures, this catalogue will be invaluable to glass collectors and 20th century design enthusiasts.

Price: £20 + postage and packing - see below as this is a larger book, so costs more to send abroad!
Within the UK:
First class postage: add £1.50
First class, recorded delivery: add £2.25

Europe: add £3.40
The US: add £5.60
Rest of World: add £5.60

I can accept payment by Paypal, sterling cash, a sterling cheque drawn on a UK bank account or a sterling money order made out to 'Mark Hill'.

To place an order, please email books@markhillpublishing.com or telephone +44 (0) 7798 915474

Note. Ask Mark to sign and dedicate book if required, and bought from his website
http://www.markhillpublishing.com/index.html

Have a look at the photos from the exhibition at kings lynn on the link above ,
many many large photos and details of the glass shown are in the book.

"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
Re: Hi Sklo Lo Sklo - Mark Hill
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 06:52:51 PM »
I just got a copy of this at Stourbridge glass fest - brill.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 01:56:36 PM »
Well!  I just got Hi Sklo Lo Sklo and have identified a vase I've had (and loved) for about 8 years.  It's the big Hospodka vase with the coloured space-age prunts on page 41.  I'd never have thought it was Czech...my eyes almost fell out when I saw it in the book.  Happy though!  At last it has a country of origin.  Ahhhhhhhhhhh.  :D

I am not a man

Offline mid20c

• Members
    • mid20c
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 08:24:52 PM »
An absolute must have book for all European art glass collectors and dealers.
I thumb through my copy on a daily basis and it has proved to be invaluable when listing on the web.
Cheers Al

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 05:38:16 PM »
Hi Max from the same book i have ID for a vase i have had for about 20 years that i am ready to part with ,its a Skrdlovice Galaxy vase by Miroslava Slobodova the person i purchased from thought it was Russian ,it is on ebay at the moment with a bid from Prague . Thanks Mark . jp

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 06:29:30 PM »
I just got this book today (better late than never) and I'm SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASED!  I love the layout and the photos...  [drool, drool] 

Now I know what to keep my eyes open for  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand