No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Swedish Label ID: G.Hardy (Importers) - Aseda  (Read 14774 times)

vidfletch

Swedish Label ID: G.Hardy (Importers) - Aseda
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 10:10:14 AM »
Hardys imported glass by Aseda, Elme, Gadderas, Alsterfors, Alsterbro and Gullaskruf and no doubt other smaller Swedish factories. They bought and imported old stock that was unsold. No doubt bought at good prices! I know that Aseda in particular exported most of their production themselves to the USA and Germany. So Hardys must have picked up the remainder. Their Aseda pieces are the plainest certainly when it comes to the "Jack in the Pulpit" type vases.

As I have said previously in this thread they also bought Italian glass and labelled it "Venetian Art Glass" with the label being the same. If I remember correctly the "Venetian Art Glass" labels are red. I will look through all my photos for more Hardy labels.

Vidfletch :D

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 11:08:33 AM »
Here is a photo of a HUGE  20inch tall vase with the G.Hardy label...Is this an Aseda vase????

http://tinypic.com/hx955y.jpg

Emmi

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Post subject
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 01:06:07 AM »
Quote from: "vidrioguapo"
Hi Peter, tried putting my lG.Hardy label on the link you gave, but it hasn't appeared???? What have I done wrong...and wonder (whimsically) where in cyberspace has it gone???

Is this the one? http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=15&pos=5

Seems there was a small hiccup on the server which caused odd things to happen, thanks to Tigerchips alerting me it's now fixed. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 02:35:19 AM »
Hi

Good posts

I like this topic

G Hardy seem to be famous for Aseda but they also imported from Elme, Gadderås, Alsterfors, Alsterbro, Reijmyre, Riihimaen, Sölvehyttan, and lots more according to my limited database, in fact I think they imported a lot more Swedish glass than is thought

They also imported from Italy and there are many variations of the G Hardy 'Venetian Art Glass' label, the most common is similar to the Swedish one but I am interested in the oval one bottom right (see pic) with 'Lido' above the motif. Not for this board but if anyone has any info they can post on Murano board

Back to Sweden

9.6" high maker unknown

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Post subject
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 09:03:00 AM »
Quote from: "vidrioguapo"
Here is a photo of a HUGE  20inch tall vase with the G.Hardy label...Is this an Aseda vase????

Emmi

That is a Gullaskruf vase designed by Arthur Percy. The larger ones get quite pricey - I saw a 35"one auctioned in Sweden for 2800 SEK = over 300 UKPs. HOWEVER, I have also seen these with an Ingridglas label. Now I'm not sure if Ingrid imported Gullaskruf as well, or if they had them copied elsewhere...

vidfletch

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 10:07:08 AM »
Aseda Glasbruk made this type of vase too as did other companies. It must have been the "in thing" at the time! LOL!!!

Vidfletch

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 10:14:29 AM »
Hi Anne...thanks for finding my label. I try my best with this IT lark, mostly get to grips with it, but when something doesn't work, I blame myself. Good to know that's not the case in this instance.

Ivo...thanks for the info on my large blue glass...am looking at it with some real respect now it has a provenance!!!!

Emmi

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2005, 10:28:25 PM »
That is a Gullaskruf vase designed by Arthur Percy. The larger ones get quite pricey - I saw a 35"one auctioned in Sweden for 2800 SEK = over 300 UKPs. HOWEVER, I have also seen these with an Ingridglas label. Now I'm not sure if Ingrid imported Gullaskruf as well, or if they had them copied elsewhere...

Ivo

Your Gullaskruf attribution is backed up by J Miller 2006 pp331.

Gullaskruf tall blue floor bottle designed by Arthur Percy c 1960 - 19" high £100 approx.

If this is right then it can only be assumed they imported the 35" vases.

That’s a pic I will be saving for my G Hardy imported goods collection. Getting a G Hardy database together for Sweden and Italy would be an amazing but time consuming project. I actually don't know of any books new or old that deal, comprehensively & exclusively with importers and their glass?

The Ingridglas import label (Germany?) interests me, especially if they did indeed import same goods as Hardy. You mention them in your book, where they a big concern, I mean enough to bother G Hardy or was it association with the florist business you mention (which does make sense – floor vase)?

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
Re: Swedish Label ID: G.Hardy (Importers) - Aseda
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 10:29:51 PM »
All the pictures of the label seem to have disappeared or changed, so here goes another attempt.  Hopefully this is the one you mean.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Swedish Label ID: G.Hardy (Importers) - Aseda
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2020, 03:40:54 PM »
Old thread I know, but a quick update for anyone researching these "George Hardy" labels and come across this thread like I did:

These labels are now known to be for a different London based art glass importer, named "Hans Geismar".

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,69609.msg387923.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand