No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riihimaki - did they make tumblers/drinks glasses - ID=Alsterfors  (Read 2170 times)

Offline sueglass

• Members
Hi All, did Riihimaki ever make small glasses, curious as I have 3 small (too small to be vases) glasses. The glass is good quality. The height is 4.5 inches and at a guess (can't find my scales) would estimate them at about 350-400 grams in weight. Again sorry about the poor picture, Sue

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Riihimaki.....did they make tumblers/drinks glasses
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 05:38:57 AM »
I could offhand think of 2 dozen glassworks who could have done this, but Riihimäki is not top of the list. These could have been made in Sweden, Germany, Italy or Belgium - perhaps even in the UK.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 06:48:31 AM »
Alsterfors springs to mind.... but I might be wrong.

They still could be vases - there's no such thing as a vessel too small or too impractically-shaped to be a vase when it comes to the wonderful world of glass.  ;D

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 02:15:01 PM »
Yes, they're Alsterfors, and are vases
They come in two sizes and 3 colours, Red (which are by far the most common) Amethyst and Amber.

Riihimaki did make drinking glasses too btw, just not these   ;)

Offline sueglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 10:32:16 PM »
Thanks you guys, Alsterfors never entered my head, I immediately thought Riihimaki because of the shape.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand