No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: paperweight thingmejig  (Read 6281 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
paperweight thingmejig
« on: August 19, 2005, 11:28:18 AM »
some might of seen this on ebay, i bought it for the curiosity side, it measures 0.75" high and 0.58"across, its not been cased in glass, is it an unfinished weight or a pendant as described on ebay or was it going to be a stopper? what are other peoples views

click on image for larger photo

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
paperweight thingmejig
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 03:41:21 PM »
Ray's quote should be here but I messed it up

Yes, I did see this on Ebay and I wondered what the heck it was too.  Why did they describe it as a pendant??  It reminded me of a tiny darning stool.
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
paperweight thingmejig
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 06:20:43 PM »
What is the dark stuff on the bottom section? Looks like is was fixed into something, cane top maybe.

Offline RAY

• Members
paperweight thingmejig
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 06:30:08 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"
What is the dark stuff on the bottom section? Looks like is was fixed into something, cane top maybe.

i think it's just the wax stuff the glass makers put on there tool's , it's defo not glue, it looks like it's never been fixed to anything
cheers Ray

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
paperweight thingmejig
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 10:08:11 AM »
:D
The canes look as if they have the Maltese cross in them. That might be a starting point for id. Mdina have been using canes recently.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline RAY

• Members
paperweight thingmejig
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 12:27:35 PM »
the canes are more likely to be strathearn at 1st looks,
cheers Ray

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
paperweight thingmejig
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 07:40:15 PM »
It looks like a stopper for a scent bottle or inkwell, that hasn't yet been ground in to fit. :D
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline RAY

• Members
paperweight thingmejig
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 08:17:17 PM »
Quote from: "aa"
It looks like a stopper for a scent bottle or inkwell, that hasn't yet been ground in to fit. :D

would they not of cased it in clear glass 1st?
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
paperweight thingmejig
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 04:26:09 PM »
Here's another, similar object:
http://tinypic.com/axyzwh.jpg

I took the photos when visiting a collector in Scotland. In this one, the canes are certainly Strathearn and as with Ray's piece, the canes are on the surface. Also very small (although I can't recall right now what the exact size was). Note the very neatly worked "shank".

Opinions were sought as to what this could be and two suggestions were offered, "Cane Top" or "Hat Pin End". Seems to make sense, but is uncorroborated.

Ray's example (whatever it really was supposed to be) looks as though it was not made with any grinding or shaping of the "shank" in mind. I say this because the stem portion is deliberately decorated in white stripes which suggests it was supposed to look like that - not to be ground away. On the other hand, if the stem was supposed to be inserted into a Cane, why make it with that part decorated at all, let alone with the nice touch of white striping???
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
paperweight thingmejig
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 06:11:14 PM »
I had not realised how small it was and the exact same shape is sold all over Amsterdam. I saw some in a shop last night.

It is jewellery for stretched piercing, there are larger ones too :o . The double ended ones go under the nose and the single ended usually an ear lobe. Usually made of borosilicate glass.

Although this one must be a second... unless of course someone did not quite know what to do with it and pushed it into an ear - hence the wax :lol:

Not so easy to find the bigger ones on the web as there so many hits but here is an example of the tamer ones http://www.jewelry.mutantarts.com/display.php?page_in=claws

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand