No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vaseline rustic handled bowl - ID = Greener  (Read 12312 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Vaseline rustic handled bowl - ID = Greener
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:53:38 PM »
Does anyone recognise this little bowl?

I can find what seems to be the handle
registered to Greener in 1888, but I can't see that they produced
Pearline in this pale yellow - the opalescent tips are much lighter
than Davidsons (I have just bought a batch of primrose Pearline, and
this is one of the paler ones) and the yellow is lighter too.  But I
can only find mention of amber and blue pearline, and no vaseline
mentioned at all (I'm checking Hajdamach and Jenny Thompson).
Christine has suggested Burtles and Tate as a possibility.

There are no marks, and the base glass is VERY green under UV.

Shame, it has an internal crack (that I missed on viewing - drat).

Any help anyone?

http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/11/97/23/97/greene10.jpg
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Vaseline rustic handled bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »
Dave Petersen's Vaseline Glass Club website claims this as a Greener piece, Lynne:
http://www.vaselineglass.org/FACTORY.HTML - scroll down to about half-way through the page to the Greener section and a larger view here: http://www.vaselineglass.org/greenerbasketpairLG.jpg
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 04:56:58 PM »
Thanks so much Anne!  Do you know, I looked all down that page, and didn't see the Greener ones at all! 

I knew I needed new glasses.... ::) Seems it is proved.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 10:57:16 PM »
Probably sidetracked by all the goodies there Lynne!  ;D  The number of times I go looking for one thing and get sidetracked you wouldn't believe!!!   :o  ;D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 06:35:53 AM »
So obviously Greener did produce a Vaseline/lemon/primrose and cream opalescent in their Pearline range.

I think Pearline is specific to Davidson, and also Primrose as the colour. Does anyone know if Greener used a specific range and colour name? I have not been able to find a reference to this colour for them.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 03:13:14 PM »
The twig handled basket is registered design 176239, registered on aug. 10, 1891.  It was registered as a 'vase, naturalistic top'.   

I do not know what Greener's name was for their uranium/vaseline opalescent color, as Primrose Pearline was a trade name for Davidson.  However, they were competitors.  Sowerby also made at least one known piece of this same shade, a little salt dish with handles.  Burtles, Tate and Co. also made a uranium (yellow) opalescent glass, as did Molineaux, Webb (their PIKE fish posey bowl comes to mind).  There was also the GRACE DARLING boat made by Edward Bolton in yellow-uranium opalescent glass.  "if it sells, someone will copy it".

I have photos of other registered GREENER patterns that were made in this color:
Rd numbers:  160244 (basket shape, creamer shape, commonly called CONTESSA), a creamer and a footed stem sugar (or small compote) shape in 304505; a chariot or pram 3-wheeled cart: 150277; a tumbler with raised square blocks 182002; a creamer with a swirl pattern and a cross-hatch pattern within the swirl 262018; a ruffled-edge oval dish 325539; a creamer and sugar in 514769; a small basket with a shell and chain effect 113896 (sometimes referred to as ROYAL JUBILEE).  I also have a note in my Jenny Thompson book that a diamond pattern, 196641 was made in vaseline, but have no photo.

There are also other known registered designs that belong to Greener (or Angus and Greener, what the company was called prior to Greener) that are known in vaseline/yellow uranium without the opalescent rim. 

I also suspect that there will be other patterns that have currently only been found in blue opalescent that will surface in the future in yellow opalescent. 

As far as josordoni comment, I have never found a name for Greener's yellow opalescent color either, but I know that they exist and have been collecting photos for years. 

The twig basket on the vaselineglass.org website is mine.  I also have one of the 'Royal Jubilee' baskets.  I have also seen a huge covered bowl in this Royal Jubilee pattern in bright yellow uranium glass, but not in yellow opalescent. 

Probably my most interesting piece is the small handled cup with the words GEORGE PEABODY on the sides, and it includes the Diamond registration mark on the bottom, translated to Rd. 236921, registered on Dec. 7, 1869.  This mold was made quickly, as Peabody passed away just one month before that, in the first week of Nov., 1869.  While mostly found in clear glass, my cup is in bright (non-opal) vaseline/yellow uranium glass.

If anyone has a vaseline/yellow uranium saucer that matches this cup, please let me know!

Dave Peterson
aka: Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 03:24:41 PM »
Hiya Dave!  lovely catalogue of your pieces.  Thank you so much for the extra info. 

I do like the colour of the creamy edge on the Greener piece - I think it has a lot of elegance compared to Davidson's. It is slightly more green I think.

btw whilst I have your attention.... is there any source for the names that are given to Davidson patterns?  I can't seem to find anything with all the different patterns?

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 03:38:41 PM »
There is somewhere, but I can't remember where, yet. I was looking for it for Greener

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 04:06:33 PM »
The majority of the Davidson patterns were given names by William "Bill" Heacock.  John Bell also named a couple.  There is a complete listing in my book, VASELINE GLASS: CANARY TO CONTEMPORARY, by David A. Peterson.
However, that is not a sales pitch, and can provide names as they relate to registration numbers:

There are also a couple other pieces made in Primrose Pearline (past the date that is commonly used - 1903) as the last time that Davidson supposedly made Primrose Pearline.  Those will be at the end of this post.  Those have not all been given any generic names.

IN ORDER BY DATE OF REGISTRATION, DATE OF REGISTRATION AND GENERIC NAMES:
RD 96945, 3/31/1888 RICHELIEU
RD 130641 TO 130643, 8/13/1889 BRIDESHEAD
No Rd. number:  1890 SUITE, advertisement shown in Pottery Gazette on 4/1/1893, also known as PRINCESS DIANA.
NO REGISTRATION: LADY CAROLINE, circa 1891, also known as 1891 SUITE
RD 176566, 8/15/1891 LADY CHIPPENDALE
RD 193365, 6/1/1892.  Heacock called it DOVER DIAMOND, John Bell named it ASHLEIGH.  ASHLEIGH seems to be more recognizable.  This is probably the toughest pattern to find, in any shape, in Primrose Pearline.  I know of two bowls.
RD 212684, 5/25/1893 WAR OF THE ROSES (6 BOAT SHAPES)
RD 217752,  9/6/1893 PRINCE WILLIAM
RD 237038, 8/1/1894 LINKING RINGS
RD 254027, 5/1/1895 SOMERSET
RD 285342, 10/2/1896 LORDS & LADIES
RD 303519, 8/18/1897 VICTORIA & ALBERT
RD 320124, 6/10/1898 QUEENS CROWN
RD 413701, 7/14/1903 WILLIAM & MARY

ALSO: NO REGISTRATION, but referred to in old literature as pattern No. 900, introduced in 1893: QUILTED PILLOW SHAM.

HELEN LOUISE, not registered, unknown year of production, named by John Bell in honor of Helen Louise Bennett, his significant other.  It resembles closely BRIDESHEAD, but is different, and is only known in a cream and sugar.  unmarked.

Also, John Bell found a Davidson catalog, dated 1912, that showed various pieces of an ice cream service.
this piece is from that group:
http://www.vaselineglass.org/davidsonicecream.jpg  I also have this dish in a smaller blue opal version.  There are also two considerably longer banana boat styles known in primrose pearline that have the similar shell fluting on the edge.

also:  I have three small open salt dishes that are Davidson, but only one is marked.
Round, no pattern on sides, sunburst on bottom: early 1880s, shown in one of Heacock's Open salt books.
Square, no pattern on sides, sunburst on bottom: Rd. 577153 (but not marked), registered 1/28/1911.
Fluted vertical sides, with solid band rim at top edge (not named), marked with RD 549518, registered 9/18/1909.

I have also seen two small berry bowls (in a double marmalade frame) in the No. 269 'Raspberry Prunt' line that are in primrose Pearline, and have a photo I can share on that one:
http://www.vaselineglass.org/davidson269opal.jpg

That is all that has been discovered so far in the Davidson line that was made in Primrose Pearline.  oops, just recalled, there are a couple very older bowls that I have seen, but they were not named, and don't have any registration numbers.  they were very early 1880s.  it would take me a little while to dig out photos, but the pictures match a known catalog illustration.

Dave Peterson
aka: Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 04:11:56 PM »
Dave thank you very much indeed.  Very generous of you to give me such a lot of useful information.

Has your book got lots of photos btw?  If so, I think it will definitely be added to my wish list..

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand