No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help me identify this Italian vase  (Read 3113 times)

Offline AnnieNan

• Members
Please help me identify this Italian vase
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:00:06 PM »
Hello!  My first post, so please bear with me.  I am trying to find some information on this vase, which is marked Italy on the bottom, along with some other lettering which begins with an MA.  The area reading Italy is difficult to see, but above that, the lettering beginning with the MA also appears again.  Vase measures a bit over 8 inches tall and weighs over 6 pounds.  Color is clear but the bubbles give it a smoky grayish quality.  I certainly appreciate any input!  Thank you, Nanne.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Re: Please help me identify this Italian vase
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:12:15 PM »
MADE IN
 ITALY

???

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 10:26:25 PM »
 Hi Nanne,
welcome to the board, Martyn is probably right, 'made in Italy'
Im no expert on Murano (or anything really ;)  )
but having a quick look in Leslie Pina's book, circa fifties glass,
it has similarities to Venini, Murano, pieces, and the 'm' in made, reminds me of script from
'Venini' that i have seen.
The book says pieces were acid-stamped 'Venini Murano made in Italy'

Just a start, hopefully someone will give you more ideas, maybe a good idea to ask a moderator
to move your post to the 'Murano board'
regards
Andy

ps sometimes Venini is stamped on the inside rim of vases, worth checking :D
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline AnnieNan

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:22:25 PM »
Hello, Martyn & Andy:  Thank you both for your help.  For some reason, I kept thinking I saw an X or a Z after the MA, but your eye can play tricks on you when trying to decipher illegible print.  I will check under the rim for possible further signatures, appreciate that invaluable tip!   Meanwhile, I'll see if I can figure out how to get the post over to the Murano category.  Again, thanks for taking the time!  Nanne

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 11:25:50 PM »
Hi Nanne, it's not something you can do yourself. You need to ask a moderator to do it for you. (Mods are identifiable by having Global Moderator below their name beside their posts. I'll move this over for you now. :) Welcome to the board too.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 12:27:27 PM »
The stamp reminds me a bit of the acid stamp that Martinuzzi used. I found one of his stamped vases online at http://www.antiquehelper.com/item.php?itemID=47550. The lettering on AnnieNan's vase looks thicker to me than the lettering on the red vase. I haven't seen the vase before, but I do think it may be Murano. Does anyone know if there are any other Muranese glassmakers that used the Made in Italy acid stamp?

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 01:04:17 PM »
Anita, the 1st 2 letters that are the only ones you can see on Annies look the same to me as the red vase.
The red vase's stamp is seen from above but, Annies example is seen at an angle which would give the illusion of making the letters thicker.
Wouldn't it ? :chky:
martin

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 01:18:14 PM »
It is hard to say. "Made in Italy" could have been done by so many people that, without seeing an attributed vase of the same design, it would be risky to say Martinuzzi made it. His work after leaving Venini is difficult to track.

The vase in this post looks like a nice one, but looks to me like it could have been done by several glassmakers that I am familiar with. Maybe a Martinuzzi expert will drop in to give a definite yes or no to the form and acid stamp.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline AnnieNan

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 02:27:57 PM »
Hello Anita and Soledivo!  Thank you and everyone else for your posts.  I am posting a few extra photos of the one signed area that is easiest to read, and also what may be a partial label remnant that's in the middle of the base, in the hopes that it will help.  The second area where the word Italy is found is much more difficult to see and photograph, especially since the bottom of the vase is quite scratched as you can see.  Again, thanks to all!  Best, Nanne

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 03:45:51 PM »
Hi Nanne,
have a look at this long list of Murano labels, i just had a quick look through, a few similar.
 http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=102&page=1

Cheers
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand