No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Michael Bang Sun catchers  (Read 4793 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Michael Bang Sun catchers
« on: August 20, 2005, 01:16:03 PM »
Hi all,

As the car is in the garage having its poorly parts mended, I wasn't able to go the any car boots, so I had a look in the antique centres in town. Its not my usual looking place, as the glass there is either too expensive or tat, nothing in the middle!

However today in the window I saw 5 suncatchers, three with swirl patterns, one with two elephants and one with a stickman as decoration, which claim to be by Michael Bang made in 1969.

Did he make sun catchers? And how, without labels, or being signed, would you know?

I would like to know more about them if possible,as I really liked them, but don't want to waste any hard earned cash (as the car will cost a pretty penny :cry: ).

I've decided to "treat" myself to two, as they have been playing on my mind.

If they are still there I shall post a picture, but having looked through some of my books I wonder if they might be by Eric Hoglund. I have had one of his bottle with the little stick man as decoration. (trouble was it was a yucky sage green ).

Barbara

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 08:53:25 AM »
Eric Hoglund. I have had one of his bottle with the little stick man as decoration. (trouble was it was a yucky sage green ).

I think you mean a 'people' decanter?  Umm...they are a bit yucky aren't they?!  :D  :lol:

Barbara...you could always take a photo of the suncatchers and post them here...crafty, but useful!   8)
I am not a man

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 08:59:17 AM »
Max, Yucky is in the eye of the beholder!!! Just because I put mine high on a shelf so it would quit staring at me!!!! OK OK I admit they are kinda Yucky. Terry

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 09:21:54 AM »
Hi All,

No not one of thoses people things, mine is like the awful (sorry :oops: ) photo, the amber bottle with a little man pressed onto a blob on the side, really "lovely" not!

http://tinypic.com/ayrq4o.jpg

Its the awful colours some of the items are made in that spoils them, I think anyway. Surely that green can't have been popular in the 1950/60's can it?

Barbara.

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 03:20:57 PM »
I have bought one of the suncatchers, it has a little stick man in a blob, and is a wonderful amberina/tangerine colour. Very similar to the Eric Hoglund things. No marks or anything.

http://tinypic.com/az87sg.jpg.

http://tinypic.com/az8bj4.jpg

I had a look at the elephant one, and it looks like the USA ones and the glass wasn't such good quality, the others have a swirl pattern and are blue and red. I liked this one!

Barbara

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 05:30:52 PM »
As to the "Bang" theory, the place is run by people who have to "do" a day as they have a unit in the place, so of course no-one know anything about anyone else's stuff. :roll:  

I usually have to laugh at what's written on some labels, and have been known to try and correct some that are REALLY bad. This however did ring a small distant bell somewhere, so I parted with MY money (not other halfs), so I hope I'm in the right place and time frame. :wink:

Barbara

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 05:49:32 PM »
Err....but did Erik Hogland work for Holmegaard at all?  Erm....
I am not a man

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 07:30:04 PM »
Hi Max,

I think he worked for Kosta before the Boda bit, and the green item I had did have a Kosta label on it, if I remember rightly, but it is 5 weeks into the holidays and the little dears might not make it into the sixth :twisted: so my brain is on auto for most of the day :shock:

Michael Bang worked for Holmegaard, and there was another Bang (?relative) who worked for Kastrup and used that yuckey green colour but I don't know if he was into little stick men :oops:

Barbara

BTW The Millers Collectable book I've got shows Liskeard knobbly glass vases as having a 1960's date rather than a 1980's one, so who is right?

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 07:56:16 PM »
Pina : Smoke & Ice
Kastrup
Jacob Bang 1957-65
Kastrup merged with Holmegaard in 1965
Pete

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 08:22:37 PM »
Barbara said:
BTW The Millers Collectable book I've got shows Liskeard knobbly glass vases as having a 1960's date rather than a 1980's one, so who is right?

Oh, I've got some of those!  Liskeard glass became Merlin Glass (so it's reported), and Great Glass says Merlin Glass was established in 1983, and was formerly Liskeard Studio Glass (1978-1983).

Sooooo...if that is correct, the Knobbly Liskeard vases can't be 1960's, can they?

I've always thought it odd that Liskeard became Merlin...Merlin only seem to do door handles!!   :?  :o
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand