No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: glass decorating technique - what is it called? - ID = by Kralik  (Read 9423 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction please?  I bought an hexagonal pot today, turquoise satin effect glass, but the surface on both the lid and pot looks as if a spider ran all over it making random squiggly grooves in it.  The grooves are not polished and are thin but therefore appear whiteish/rough on the satin finish.  It's gorgeous but I have no idea where to start on trying to find out about it?  
the surface decoration goes over the whole pot including the base.  I cannot find any mold seams on it at all.  the knob on the lid is part of the lid and hollow and is also hexagonal - very pretty.  Sorry no photo at the mo.
Any direction on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated  :)
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: glass decorating technique - what is it called?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 05:41:20 PM »
Without a picture very difficult, it could one of many techniques, http://glasslinks.yobunny.org.uk/

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 03:05:50 PM »
 thank you Frank :).  I managed to get totally distracted looking at unrelated items  ;D for ages
I have found a similar effect on a post here - not sure if this link is going to work http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-9926 (came up under a search using crackle effect)
I will continue my search
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 04:02:04 PM »
Probably best to move this topic to Muano as their will probably be a more precise definition of this technique in Murano terms. Cracquelle/Craquelle is the standard term. Dipped in water before blowing to final size which opens up the 'cracks' in the outer layer.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 04:10:03 PM »
Thank you SOOO much :clap: - having looked at the base of the link inkstand, it is I would say, almost identical to my pot/box!  I will now go and trawl on cracquelle/craquelle.
m

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 04:47:30 PM »
Sorry, Frank, but before M gets lost - spelling is

craquelé or crackle glass

;)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 06:37:45 PM »
a ghiaccio Frank?  ;D
thanks Pamela - however NOTHING I have looked at comes even close to the satin finish AND the craquele together.  Most seem to be clear crackle effect.  The only one which looks the same is the link on this site to the ink well :spls:
m

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
Dipped in water before blowing to final size which opens up the 'cracks' in the outer layer.

I wonder if that precise method was used in a piece like the one in the gallery.  It seems like blowing it into the mold would make some "cracks" open more than others, but they are all pretty fine and uniform.  And where does the white come from?  I wish the photos showed the base better, how it was made (and attached?).  There's a thread about the piece somewhere, maybe I can find it.

...Ah, here is it:  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,21109.0.html.  I don't know if it's helpful or more confusing, though.  Has more links to pictures of the base, and shows a few wider cracks that don't look white.  Could it have been dipped in water after molding and still get that effect?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 11:06:35 PM »
Kristi bear with me as I have no idea what I am talking about, but ...it seems to me all pics that I have looked at have a fairly consistent 'cover' of crackle as it were.  It seems to me some pieces also have been heated so the crackles have been covered over and the outer I guess must feel smooth but the crackle effect still shows, and others haven't been so that the surface feels rougher where you can feel the crackles perhaps- but they all have some consistency of effect over most of the piece (the ones I have seen in pics). 

On my little pot/box the surface is rough but only because of the crackles.  And the 'crackles' are grooves you can run your nail in.  It is rough in other words, apart from the satin bits.  But also the effect is not consistent.  It is random, as if a spider with acid on it's feet ran all over it in a panic ;D  and some of them are wider than others (a spider with one or two really big feet ;D )      It is completely smooth and polished shiny inside.  Not all the 'grooves' are whiteish.  In fact it looks like a map of rivers and tributaries.  It looks as though it was an applied technique on the surface after it was shaped, but that is to my totally untrained eye.  I really have no idea how it was done, so any clues would be gratefully received.
m

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 01:46:34 AM »
Thanks Flying Free...I got your photo...and here's your item in GlassGallery:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-10491

I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand