No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Gulvvase Copy...  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Another Gulvvase Copy...
« on: August 24, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »
At Doncaster Racecourse antique fair today I spotted an opal white Gulvvase-esque design - approximately 12" tall and roughly the same proportions as its original counterpart. A few differences, though - the neck was slightly too short and stubby, the glass was an uncased solid opal (the originals are cased in clear), the glass was noticeably thicker than on the originals, the base rim was very rounded, and the base itself was indented. It felt very new and cheap, and had no wear at all to the base.

Of course, the seller had it marked up as Holmegaard, with matching Holmegaard price, and refused to believe that it was a copy.  ::)

So beware, as it looks like yet another company is churning these out.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Re: Another Gulvvase Copy...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 05:37:21 PM »
made in China....I've seen them with labels.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Another Gulvvase Copy...
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 08:11:12 PM »
I wondered how long it would take China to get in on the act - first the copies cropped up from Italy, then, recently, Poland, and now from our Eastern friends.

Ah well, they're not identical to the originals, so no one should be fooled if they pay fair attention - until they hit eBay accompanied by fuzzy photos...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand