No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Italian glass car boot finds, or are they?  (Read 5139 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Italian glass car boot finds, or are they?
« on: August 21, 2005, 05:43:10 PM »
I have four pieces that I think are Italian but not certain.  :?

I think this one is made by Alrose, Murano. There seems to be very little known about this firm. I often see the decanters with spiral stoppers.

I haven't got a clue about this one but I think it's Italian. It has what looks like three layers of glass red, white and orange. Edited: Possibly 4 layers as it looks as though it has a clear casing on the outside.

You can see the white and orange layers in this picture.

This next one, I am certian it is ultra modern. I've seen "Cello" stickers on some of them. On ebay, I see these attributed to Murano but I'm suspicious about that. Some are priced at £25 but I can buy new one's for the same price or less.

I'm not sure whether this urn is Bohemian or Italian. It is all hand blown cut glass and the base is cut flat.

Any information on any of these would be much appreciated.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glassyone

• Members
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 07:23:56 PM »
I can't really help but the red one reminds me of a woman with her hands on her hips!

I have a red glass vase that has some similarities, not the shape but the glass and with clear 'handles'  I found a picture of the same on the web and this was the description--

This beautiful vase is clear glass cased over a vibrant red with a white milk glass interior & clear glass decorative "handles" on each side.
At one time it had a foil label with "Snowflakes" attached. It is beautifully finished. It is one of the items featured on page 145 in "Fifties Glass" by Leslie Pina. This item dates c. 1950.

You have a good touch with car boots sales!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 08:49:25 PM »
Quote from: "ruthbradwell"
I can't really help but the red one reminds me of a woman with her hands on her hips!

Perhaps I had more than glass on my mind! :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Car boot sales are proving very difficult for me at the moment because there are so many dealers already on the stalls. I would say for every 4 genuine car booters there is one dealer present.

Even Charity Shops are proving to be a problem. Oddly, I have learned that certian dealers are timing me so that they can get there before me.  :shock:  :shock:

I don't mind though, buying and selling is just a hobby at the moment. :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 09:15:02 PM »
That red vase reminds me of a vase I've got displayed on my window.
http://tinypic.com/awtl38.jpg

I completely forgot about it and I've had it for years.  :)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 09:26:46 PM »
your blue bowl on stilts http://tinypic.com/awoxmt.jpg is not Italian, I think it is actually Ukrainian.

and the cut-to-clear amber piece http://tinypic.com/awp9ub.jpg - how could you ever mistake that for Italian, it is as Bohemian as it gets.  :)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 11:02:23 PM »
There was someone on Ebay that had an amber overlay cut glass vase described as probably Italian. He made a wild guess at it but I suspected that it was bohemian.

I'd show you this vase but I can't find it now. It was in the completed listings and it sold for next to nothing.  :)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 09:49:54 AM »
Tigerchips

IMHO your Bohemian container is the nicest piece you bought, and certainly worth hanging onto.   :D
I am not a man

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 11:51:32 AM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
Oddly, I have learned that certian dealers are timing me so that they can get there before me.  :shock:  :shock:

Time to get those 80s loon pants and wig out of the wardrobe - that'll fool them :wink:   Seriously though, my son collects vinyls and he tells me that the collector/dealers he comes across, work in pairs or in threes.  One (or more) to block, whilst the other looks through albums uninterrupted.  I've got very sharp elbows, and don't mind using them :lol: , and of course chewing a few cloves of garlic on the way to the carboot, always does the trick :twisted:
Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 12:18:09 PM »
Anne...tell your son we just sold Ben - Ben, on the Vertigo label on Ebay.  That'll make him squeak!   :wink:  :lol:  :shock:
I am not a man

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 02:11:39 PM »
Alrose, Murano
Where did you find this name from Tiger ? ....a label ?
It sounds more like the name of an importer .......

Triple Layer
Looks a quality piece and an extra inner layer would tend to support that. Most likely Murano IMHO

Bowl on stilts
Ukranian ! New info Ivo ?
Didn't we blame the Chinese for this last time one cropped up here ?

Bohemian Lidded candy
Very nice ...not a clue on actual age tho as these are being reproduced as we speak ...and also coming from Poland these days.
Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand