No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'Hobnail' glass vase  (Read 2741 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: 'Hobnail' glass vase
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 04:38:44 PM »
Your vase appears to be made in the spirit of the Murano lenti vases. I saw a vase similar to yours being sold as Barovier the other day, but I do not think the attribution was correct. The Murano lenti (Barovier and Seguso) pieces have "lumps" that are molded than applied. The ones I have seen are all the same size and nicely rounded. The ones on your vase look like they may be molded onto the surface, have more space between them than the classic Murano lenti, and have two different sizes. The walls of your vase look thinner than the Murano lenti vases.

From the colors I suspect that your vase may either be Czech or Blenko. I don't know, but I hope this will help some. Can you tell if the "lumps" were molded into the glass or if they were applied? If they are molded into the glass, it will tell you a lot. It is a pretty vase, no matter who made it.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »
Hi Anita, Blenko is a good thought.  Grandma says in her first post up the top that the bumps are hollow as if pushed out from the inside. Does that help further?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 07:21:13 PM »
Thanks, Anne. I missed that totally. My eyes are lasting well as I get older, but my brain is rapidly fading.  :( Having hobnails that are pushed out lets us know it isn't a Murano lenti piece. I am glad that I was not tempted to buy the one that was on auction the other day.

I checked some Blenko sites this morning and couldn't find this exact vase, but I saw a few similar things. Maybe a Blenko expert will appear soon. Staying with the B's because of the letter on Grandma's second vase -- another company that does hobnail vases similar to Blenko is Bischoff. I would mention a couple of Czech companies that start with a B, but that would probably be more confusing than helpful right now. It can be so hard to track Czech glass.

Anita

Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 07:46:42 PM »
This is Terrys pic of his similar labelled Blenko "bubblewrap" vases. There seems to be a difference in the bubbles, not just the size and I've never heard of a mark in the glass for Blenko. I think they were only made in that size / shape.
Gallery of Blenko marks here http://www.blenkocollectors.com/blenkocollmarks.htm

Neither have I heard of a mark in the glass for Bischoff. All that I saw of Terry's collection were labelled but it's possible I guess.

My first reaction was Italian but I don't have the name of any particular company to suggest. I seem to rem that Terry had a similar one which he could not id but I can't find a pic right now.
Def not Czech IMHO
Peter
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 08:11:53 PM »
Guess it's pressed blown same as this:
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/deckeldosen/02810.html
maker unknown  >:D
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand